I think “surgiversary” is a silly word.

Spiky Bugger

But sometime this past week, I had my FIFTEENTH. Wow!

The Good News:
I have, in fact, maintained a 75% excess weight loss over all this time. There have been short periods where I packed on an extra 15-20#, but I switched to lots of bacon, eggs and steaks and it went back to the 75% excess weight loss number.

The Bad News:
BMI chart type info says I’m still “obese.“ I’d need to lose 20# more to be “overweight.” (That’s not as accurate as it should be. Bone structure and muscle mass are not factored in. Per those charts, when I got out of Army Basic Training and was built like the proverbial brick shit house, I was ”overweight.” I don’t think so.)

For any lurkers who wonder what I’m muttering about...the DS has the best long term excess weight loss, at about 75%.

Example, not my numbers:
A post-op weight of 187.5# is the “average,” for a 300# person whose ideal weight is 150#. [300 - (150 x .75) = 187.5]. This is where DianaCox usually corrects my math.

That 112.5 pounds (150 x .75 = 112.5) is a HUGE amount of weight. But because it isn’t the ideal, healthiest weight, we sometimes get depressed about that. Don’t do that. And besides, I could get there, but I’d have to behave like a responsible adult and that is unlikely.

Silly word or not, I am so glad that you share your insight and wisdom here! Thank you so much for the information you provide. You are appreciated.

I had my 8th surgiversary back in June of this year and I remember learning from you then and feeling like I would never make it that far...here I am...and here you still are offering teaching and encouragement. Happy re-birthday

Happy anniversary of your surgery? Meh.

Your numbers look right to me, and are approximately my usual numbers, but for the Covid 15-ish.

Latest posts

Back