I made it!

Thank you all!

To update, the ride home yesterday was HELL with the wonderfully smooth roads we have here in SE Pa and a huge air bubble bouncing around in my abdomen. With everyone running around the house, at one point I wished I was back in the hospital to get some peace and quiet Thank God for the pain meds.

This morning was also tough with the gas pain but walking, meds and a heating pad on my belly had me feeling pretty good by the afternoon. I was worried about getting enough liquid in but so far have gotten about 50 oz not including any jello (if that even counts). I must admit, I was not expecting how tough the gas pain is, it's much better but not completely gone. I even cooked dinner for everyone else.

As for the 6 hr surgery, I'm not exactly sure why. I was told it normally is 4. I do know that in addition to the DS I had a hiatial hernia repair and was supposed to get my liver biopsied BUT Dr. B said I had shrunk up my liver enough that it wasn't necessary :thumbsup:. I started this journey at 419 and went into surgery at 329 so I'm pretty happy about that.

Here is an interesting thing about my surgery I discovered afterwards.

I had some serious pain on the soles of my feet right at the ball behind my little toes. With the all the juice I was on, this hurt worse than anything else. So I asked why. Turns out I spent 6 hours standing in one spot not moving my feet for the surgery. My surgery was performed with me strapped to the table in an upright position :eek:. I was told that he does it this way to make sure that everything is placed in its natural position to avoid any internal pulling or tugging. Apparently when we lay down all our guts shift.

Overall I'm doing much better end of day 2 and know the worst is over

wow, I've never heard of anyone having surgery standing up - interesting!

sorry about the pain but it sounds like you are doing well with the liquids, good for you!

That bit about standing, fascinating! I am glad the gas pains are easing. I am lucky in that I only had them for about one day. My husband would rub my shoulders and my back, that is where it hurt for me.

You are doing pretty good on fluids, the jello does count, keep trying to up it to at least 64 ounces. :)

Yep, that's how it's done, with the table tilted. Sorry about the sore feet!

Congrats Dave, I hope my Surgery goes as smooth as yours sounds...and I hear you on the roads, but I'm in NE PA in the mountains so I'm not looking forward to the hour and a half trip home based on your description ;-)

@Denis Korb I had a 3 hour drive home half of which of which was up a curvy mountain road. I made sure I had a large pillow with me to hug to my tummy all the way. It really helped holding everything in together and made the drive more comfortable.

Gratz Dave! Glad you're doing fine and things went well with the surgery. FLUIDS! You'll have days when you won't want to drink anything, but you gotta force yourself to try, because once you become dehydrated it's a hard road to get out from under it. You also have more nausea when you get dehydrated. My prayers are with you hombre!

Congratulations Dave! Glad to hear all went well. I had no idea the table was tilted during surgery. Awesome news that you're getting all your fluids in from the get go. That will help so much with your recovery! Hope all continues to go smoothly for you and you have a speedy recovery. I'm looking forward to following your progress! Welcome to the other side and good luck! :)

Latest posts

Back