I have a cough...

Clematis

My surgery is a week from Thursday and I have this f'ing lingering dry wheezy cough from a nasty respiratory virus I had more than 5 weeks ago. I cannot have surgery and a cough.

I feel absolutely fine... except every few hours, or when I go into a new room or building, I have a brief coughing spasm. I went to MD yesterday and was told it is a post-viral cough where the lungs are just super sensitive. And this kind of sensitivity can last 2 MONTHS.

Knowing about the upcoming surgery she prescribed Simicort twice a day, another inhaler for when I am having a spasm (I haven't used that one yet) and Z-pak antibiotic which she said to take if I didn't see improvement by Monday. (But neither of us think it is bacterial as I really have felt great after the 10 days of true illness a month ago.) I also started Flonase last Thursday in case a small part of it is due to leaf mold or dust allergy. (I never cough on my 4 mile morning walks through the woods.)

So 24 hours of treatment later, the cough is still here, still the same.

I'm thinking of starting the Z-pak right now, more just to cover all the bases. Can anyone with medical knowledge tell me if taking an antibiotic 10 days before surgery is a good/bad idea? (I assume I'd be put on one post-surgery as well.)

I don't know about pre-op, but there is no post-op antibiotic with Esquerra unless you show signs of infection, just one antibiotic pill the night before surgery.

Latest posts

Back