How do my first labs look?

Marquis Mark

Attached is my first set of post op labs taken at 7 weeks out. Not a full battery. Just a few that had been suggested. Everything seems OK except for the iron stuff. Still waiting on the D3.

Bear in mind, I didn’t take any supplements for the first week. After that I started on BA chewable carbonyl with Vit C (60 MG each). I took 2/day, then 3, then worked up to 4 at about 3 weeks post up. Then I took two/day + 1 polysaccharide 150 Mg + 2 mg copper until I got tested. I’m out of carbonyl so I plan on taking 2 polysaccharides, cooper and vitamin C daily from here out.

Should I just wait for my 3 month lab to see if that moves the needle in the right direction, or is there something else I should be doing now?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• DS lab results.pdf
    55.5 KB · Views: 19
With those ferritin and Iron Sat % numbers, I would be headed to a hema for infusions.

Ferritin is your savings account for iron. Your iron is writing checks your ferritin is struggling to cover and will soon not be able to cover. You want ferritin in triple digits and iron sat above 30%.

Low ferritin AND/OR Iron sat % can cause RLS and or migraines or other issues: http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/low-iron-or-what-to-take-to-a-hematologist.1498/

Yikes. :sick: BTW, just got back my D3 result: It dropped from 41 (taken two weeks after my surgery) to 31 now. I've been taking 50,000 iu/day. Guess I should double that to 100,000?

You will NOT be given infusions a few weeks after surgery with those ferritin numbers - you need to give oral iron supplementation a many months' long attempt first. I would try Proferrin, because it is heme iron and doesn't interfere with other minerals.

I'm sorry, but I disagree with Liz on her iron recommendations. SHE has what I think are somewhat unique issues with iron. RLS, for example. I have had ferritin in the 12-20 range in the past for a very long time (a couple of years) with NO symptoms. Everyone is different, and there simply is no way you are going to be able to get a referral to a hematologist this early out from surgery and without trying conservative measures - and in particular without being asymptomatic.

Vitamin D3 - I would wait until 6 months labs before jumping them up to twice as much. Maybe add 3 more caps/week for a total of 10 x 50K. You're still healing - see how things go for another 3 months.

You will NOT be given infusions a few weeks after surgery with those ferritin numbers - you need to give oral iron supplementation a many months' long attempt first. I would try Proferrin, because it is heme iron and doesn't interfere with other minerals.

I'm sorry, but I disagree with Liz on her iron recommendations. SHE has what I think are somewhat unique issues with iron. RLS, for example. I have had ferritin in the 12-20 range in the past for a very long time (a couple of years) with NO symptoms. Everyone is different, and there simply is no way you are going to be able to get a referral to a hematologist this early out from surgery and without trying conservative measures - and in particular without being asymptomatic.

Vitamin D3 - I would wait until 6 months labs before jumping them up to twice as much. Maybe add 3 more caps/week for a total of 10 x 50K. You're still healing - see how things go for another 3 months.

Thanks. And I actually find it oddly reassuring when people respectfully disagree. The vitamin D has me concerned because it has dropped 25% in 5 weeks. Given that trajectory, it would be below 10 at 6 months if I stayed on the same dose. Is there harm in doubling, tripling or even quadrupling the dose since my number is so below the top of the range? Can't one theoretically take as much as they want as long as your number is low?

Also, is it because I'm healing that I'm not absorbing supplements well? Is that normal? When I get further out, will they absorb better?

The reason I point that thread out is that many do not know of the connection. Hell, I didn't until dh's sleep doctor mentioned the connection about 2 years ago. Also RLS is one of those diseases diagnosed by symptoms, not by tests. I didn't have any other symptoms of low iron but my secondary RLS was back.

Also, is it because I'm healing that I'm not absorbing supplements well? Is that normal? When I get further out, will they absorb better?
Actually, no...it's because you had the DS. And yes, it is normal to head down if not supplementing. You live off your stores for a few months. I wouldn't double the D yet but I would add extra for now. Maybe 2-3 days a week and then see where you land at your next set of labs.

The reason I point that thread out is that many do not know of the connection. Hell, I didn't until dh's sleep doctor mentioned the connection about 2 years ago. Also RLS is one of those diseases diagnosed by symptoms, not by tests. I didn't have any other symptoms of low iron but my secondary RLS was back.

Actually, no...it's because you had the DS. And yes, it is normal to head down if not supplementing. You live off your stores for a few months. I wouldn't double the D yet but I would add extra for now. Maybe 2-3 days a week and then see where you land at your next set of labs.

OK, so then should I add extra iron, too? Right now it's 300 of Polyssacharide + cooper + C.

Personally I would double your D to 100K IU. I have two good friends who had the DS and they both take 100-150K IU daily daily and I was take 200K IU before I had a D3 infusion.

FYI - When reporting your labs it is important to show the reference range for each element being tested as different labs have different reference ranges.

Iron I can't comment on because I have never had to take it.

BTW, I don't see any CBC numbers, copper or zinc?

It was just a "mini" 7-week-out draw. I'll get the full battery at 3 months. I share your concern about the D3. Mine dropped 25% in 5 weeks (41 to 31). That's 4.25% a week!

Latest posts

Back