Hi

The ONLY negative I have heard on Dr. Bonnani is that he reserves the DS for higher BMI's (above 50)..except for diabetics. That may have changed but I hadn't heard any different in the 5 years I have been around WLS forums.

The ONLY negative I have heard on Dr. Bonnani is that he reserves the DS for higher BMI's (above 50)..except for diabetics. That may have changed but I hadn't heard any different in the 5 years I have been around WLS forums.
His office told me that wasn't true, but I spoke w the ladies in his office and not him directly.

I spoke w Bonanni's office during my surgeon search. I couldn't go w him due to my insurance. I liked that he did a lap procedure and not open but I was told he does a set common channel length of 125 which I didn't like. I went w Dr. Greenbaum as a self pay and he uses the Hess method.

I haven't heard any complaints about Bonanni, but like I said I'm a newbie - only part of the DS community since October 2014. If you want to be sure, you should start a new thread asking about him. Then the vets will see it if they haven't been in this thread.

You must be relatively local to the area to have considered Dr B. I do know he has been experimenting with slightly longer cc lengths which gives his patients more normal bowel function. I'm not sure what length I'll get yet. Hopefully on April 13 I'll find out at my pre-op meeting!

Edit: I now see your from Jersey.

Do you have a date yet?

Last edited:

I didn't hear that but also my BMI was 59.11 at initial visit (now hovering around 49-50 after 63 lbs gone!). Fortunately I am not diabetic but had an elevated A1C.

What I experienced with him during the consultation was that his recommendations were just that, recommendations. The final decision as to either the sleeve, RNY or DS was ultimately up to us. (His office hasn't done a band in I think a couple of years).

Last edited:
You must be relatively local to the area to have considered Dr B. I do know he has been experimenting with slightly longer cc lengths which gives his patients more normal bowel function. I'm not sure what length I'll get yet. Hopefully on April 13 I'll find out at my pre-op meeting!

Edit: I now see your from Jersey.

Do you have a date yet?
I'm from PA. Near Harrisburg. I ended up w Dr. Greenbaum in NJ for my surgery bc he was a good surgeon and has the best self pay rate. My insurance wouldn't cover DS surgery bc my BMI was below 50.

I'm 2 months out. I had my surgery on Feb. 2nd.

Latest posts

Back