Hi there..

Dana Portnenier, the head of the Duke University bariatric program was my doctor, but in a teaching hospital, honestly, there's an army of them. I have a SADI or loop duodenal switch. I think in my 11/2 days in the hospital, I was visited by 5 bariatric fellows. I'm not the world's happiest camper. I breezed through the operation, but am having some terrible gas and diareah issues on my liquid diet. Which, in turn, has made me very nervous about virtually everything that I put in my mouth. I did great my first couple of days with all the protein etc, but yesterday, I had nothing other than Gatorade and popsicles ( both sugar free) and I felt better than I have in days...so, yeah, problematic. I'm down 16 lbs since I left the hospital, so I'm not too far from being put in the hospital on IV fluid, I suspect.

Welcome!
It's great to hear that someone is doing a real study on how SADI will compare to DS results. I would like to see longer follow-up, but at least this is a start.

Don't sweat the protein just now. Your body has protein stores that you can use for the first few weeks. The most important job you have right now is to get in your fluids and avoid dehydration. Walk frequently as much as you can, even if it's just walking around the house. Your intestines will settle down as they heal and you'll be able to get in your protein then.

Hello and welcome! I hope you settle into a comfortable routine soon. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Greetings! The first weeks and even months post op can be erratic between what sounds ok, or is even tolerated. Hand in there, it gets better literally every day.

glad to see you here Txcat - and what Liz & Larra said, hydration is what you need to focus on now.

Thanks for the support, guys. I'm so used to being just about indestructible. I was in Pilates class less than 3days after having my appendix burst, so this recovery is really tough. My stomach is behaving a little better. I still have pain about half of the time when I eat, and Iliterally need to sleep about 12 hours a day.

Latest posts

Back