Hi new on here

Annabelle

I have had the VSG 2.5 years ago and have lost 203 pounds, I still need to lose another 100. I am considering a revision to loop DS or DS. I have stalled for about 10 months so need to add the second part of my surgery as I had too high of a BMI at the beginning. Just wondering if any have had VSG to loop DS? If so has the weight loss been good so far?

Thanks

Welcome! Get the REAL DS -- there are volumes of scientific data to support its success. There is no data to support the success of the loop DS aka SADI or SIPS.

There are many here who have added the DS to the VSG. It's an easy surgery with easy recovery.

Welcome! And what @Clematis said. All the long term data for the excellent success of the DS is for the classic DS with 2 anastomoses, not the loop DS. You have already made the most of your sleeve (and congrats on doing so!) now you need something more that is proven effective.

Welcome @Annabelle
Personally I would go traditional DS. It has decades of research behind it. The SADI/LoopDS/SIPS has less than 10 years in Turkey and less than 5 years here in the US. No long term data yet of any real consequence.

While the SADI et al may end up being a great surgery to replace the RNY, if it were my second surgery, I would definitely go for the real thing.

Thanks it sounds unamiomus. I am thinking the same thing, but not sure what my surgeon thinks until I have a barium swallow test. He does both.

Thanks it sounds unamiomus. I am thinking the same thing, but not sure what my surgeon thinks until I have a barium swallow test. He does both.
Hhonestly, it really shouldn't matter what he thinks because this is your decision as you have to live with it.

The loop has a significant risk of bile reflux on top of the issues the others already gave for reasons why the sadi will likely give you inferior results as compared to the real DS. Not to mention it will lead to minimal weight loss based on the limited data to date

Last edited:
Welcome @Annabelle. Glad you are here.
First, congrats on loosing the 203 lbs with VSG! You are doing great so far!
Lot's to read and learn here to inform your decision. Best of luck on this next stage of your journey!

Loop is the same as single DS right?
Yes, also known as the SADI and SIPS. They can't seem to make up their mind as to what to name it. There is a bit of difference in the length of the common channel...from 250 to 300 is the typical variation. Most traditional DS'ers are around 100 cm.

Gagner is doing the loop/SADI. That said, when I said I wanted a true DS, he didn't argue and was fine to accept my reasoning. My surgical report shows two anastomoses, so I'm as sure as I can be that that's what I got.

Latest posts

Back