Hi from Washington state!

Hi and welcome! You have come to the right place. We are seeing people seeking revision from VSG and gastric bypass more and more. In particular, an article about VSG was recently published that demonstrated that by 5 years post-op there was significant weight regain, as well as return of type 2 diabetes and other comorbidities. I would love to see everyone be successful with their bariatric surgeries, but the reality is that the results often aren't what patients expected them to be.

I am 33 and am 3 years post op from vsg. Currently, I have regained about 40lbs of my 100lb weight loss from the sleeve. Not sure I would qualify for a revision at this point because my bmi is only a little over 32 at this point. I have trying unsuccessfully to get the weight off in the last few months and the only thing that seems to work anymore is 600-to 800 calories a day which is really hard to stick with long term. Wondering if adding a malabsorptive component to my vsg would help maintain the weightloss. Also curious what has worked for other people in losing weight after gaining with vsg. Also I am diabetic and my a1c is steadily climbing back up, but still considered within normal range.

@michelle wolfe that's the catch with a purely restrictive procedure. While there are some people who are successful with this procedure longterm, for most, the low calorie, low carb, low fat diet required permanently is not sustainable. If anything, staying that low calorie is going to further harm your metabolism.
Of course if you can make your VSG work, it would be great. Do the best you can with what you have. But if it becomes clear to you that this just isn't going to work for you, revising to the DS would be your best option. Not only does the DS have the best results of any bariatric surgery for percentage excess weight loss and for maintaining that weight loss, it will allow you to keep the use of your pyloric valve as you did with your VSG - meaning you can take NSAIDs if needed, and that dumping is very unlikely (rare with DS and VSG, at least 30% risk with gastric bypass though definite percentage not known).

The thing holding me back from the DS is the bmi requirement of my insurance. They require a bmi of 50 or more. Not sure if there are ways around that If a person chooses to go the self pay route, does BMI still matter as much? From everything I am researching so far the DS seems to be the best option. I just went on Youtube and typed in failed duodenal switch and couldn't find anything except a few people who had issues with malnutrition. All the other surgery options seem to have a lot who have failed.

The thing holding me back from the DS is the bmi requirement of my insurance. They require a bmi of 50 or more. Not sure if there are ways around that If a person chooses to go the self pay route, does BMI still matter as much? From everything I am researching so far the DS seems to be the best option. I just went on Youtube and typed in failed duodenal switch and couldn't find anything except a few people who had issues with malnutrition. All the other surgery options seem to have a lot who have failed.
Since the NIH says 35 or higher with a comorbid Or a 40 or higher without a comorbid, your insurance company is being overly restrictive.
Post here: http://bariatricfacts.org/forums/insurance.28/ and make sure you read this post first.
While it technically isn't a denial of WLS, it IS a denial of YOUR best option.

Regarding your insurance, you also need to check out their requirements for a revision, or if revision is even covered at all. And you need to learn your appeals rights, if any. The bmi of 50 requirement can often be appealed. But if you don't have coverage for a second bariatric surgery, you will probably need to go self-pay, in which case it's between you and the surgeon.

My insurance does cover revisions, so I'm good there. I also have diabetes so I guess it is just a matter of figuring out how long I want to keep trying with the vsg or just wait for my bmi to get up to 35. lol Thanks for all your help you guys! I had no idea you could challenge your insurance like that, I just assumed it was all set in stone as to what your insurance will and will not cover!

Hi, and welcome from another Washingtonian!

One other thing to consider, is how long since your height has actually been measured? My dr weighs me every time I'm seen, but height is only checked every 10 years or so. There is a chance you may not be quite as tall as you once were, and a little difference in height may be just enough points to realize your bmi is actually over 35.

Latest posts

Back