Hernia :(

JPreiss

A couple of weeks ago I noticed a strange bulge in my upper abdomen. (It looks like a small baby bump!) Took a little time to get into my doctor and then get approved for a CT scan and yup, I have a hernia. Guess that's the best case scenario of what the bulge could be. I waited longer than the recommended time to start light weight lifting so don't know if it was anything I did that caused it or just bad luck, but annoyed that I will have to undergo another surgery to fix it.

I'm waiting on an appointment with the general surgeon. Anyone have any recommendations on questions to ask, etc? Only thing I've really come across is to try to avoid mesh.

You may want to elect to wait till you are closer to goal so you can get an abdominoplasty at the same time. It will cost you a lot less because insurance should pay for the hernia. Assuming it's just something you noticed and it's not causing problems. I would also want my diastasis recti fixed(that's separation of the abdominal muscles, common after pregnancy or weight loss). Fixing those muscles at the same time as hernia repair just makes sense.

I have a large hernia I can't afford to fix.

You may want to elect to wait till you are closer to goal so you can get an abdominoplasty at the same time. It will cost you a lot less because insurance should pay for the hernia. Assuming it's just something you noticed and it's not causing problems. I would also want my diastasis recti fixed(that's separation of the abdominal muscles, common after pregnancy or weight loss). Fixing those muscles at the same time as hernia repair just makes sense.

I have a large hernia I can't afford to fix.

Huh, food for thought. I'm quite a ways from goal but I guess I'll see what surgeon says as far as if there's any reason I shouldn't wait. Also I guess I'd have to coordinate a plastic surgeon with the general surgeon.... I've already met my deductible and maximum out of pocket for this calendar year so I wouldn't have to pay for the hernia repair if I do it in next 2 months.

Latest posts

Back