Help with understanding protein supplements

DBmom23

I just received a packet of info from my surgeon's office (Rabkin) and there is a recommendation to avoid whey protein after surgery because it is from a dairy source and can cause trouble due to lactose intolerance, particularly early on. However, when I was reading through many of these posts and Vitalady's docs, it seems like whey protein is favored.
Can you all give me your perspective and experiences? I am also curious how important the whole concept of identifying the protein source is versus finding one that tastes good.
Finally, any specific recommendations for what to buy to have at home (small quantities) for immediately post-op would be great. And where to buy too. Thank you!

I am VERY unreliable re protein supplements...come to think of it, I was CRAVING protein this weekend and should have had a shake or two...but I use egg white protein drink mix that I get at Vitamin Shoppe. (Not the Jay Robb brand--it has sugar alcohols, which cause GI disturbances for many, including many who have not had bariatric surgery.)

@Barb1 tried a powdered egg white protein...not a shake mix...just protein. Maybe she can chime in?

. Sue

Whey ISOLATE is the best...unless you do develop lactose intolerance to it post-op. Then egg or soy protein (egg preferred over soy). But even those with lactose intolerance can USUALLY handle Whey Isolate. It's the blends or concentrates of whey that most are sensitive to and cause issues.

Where to buy...Vitalady has a sample pack. Syntrax has a sample pack. A place you can return something if opened (Costco is one such a place, I THINK Vitamin Shoppe is another).

Another place with samples:
http://www.chikenutrition.com/chike-variety-pack.html

I was also intolerant to whey protein, but can handle the isolate NP. I recently switched over from egg protein shakes because of the flavor, taste.

Peeps, this is a tender subject with me because I think I’ve tried every GD protein drink out there and it has costs me literally hundreds of $$$$ trying to find something that I can choke down and live with. I just found a combination that works for ME and I almost actually like it….:D

First of all, I buy the “Premier Protein” brand PRE-MADE in the little 11 OZ cartons. I buy all 3 flavors, vanilla, strawberry and chocolate and just swap around. They are all ok tasting and have low carbs, low sugars, high protein. I will either just drink it by itself for 30g of protein if I am in a hurry, but, I usually mix in 1 scoop of Banana Strawberry from Optimum Nutrition, “ON” (whom I think makes the best tasting powder) for a total of 55 g of protein.

It might not be the cheapest approach, but, it’s what has worked for me and I thought I would share just in case someone else might be having difficulty like I did and maybe would like it too.

Last edited:
I was told to beware of whey proteins that are collagen based. There are protein shots out there where you can get like 30 grams of protein in a 2 ounce shot. Those are collagen based proteins and your body can't absorb all of the protein.

Also Nectar sells a sample pack of 15 different flavors or whey isolate protein drinks. You might want to try those.
I, personally, can't stand them because I think they smell bad. I like the Premier Protein pre mixed.

Thank you all for this incredibly valuable information.

One practical question--it sounds like tastes can change dramatically after surgery so it doesn't make sense to invest in buying too much of anything before hand. However, has anyone had the experience where he/she started liking a food after surgery that previously was disliked? I am wondering if i know i don't like a certain protein supplement (or other food) if i should even bother trying it post-surgery.

Thanks again:)

Thank you all for this incredibly valuable information.

One practical question--it sounds like tastes can change dramatically after surgery so it doesn't make sense to invest in buying too much of anything before hand. However, has anyone had the experience where he/she started liking a food after surgery that previously was disliked? I am wondering if i know i don't like a certain protein supplement (or other food) if i should even bother trying it post-surgery.

Thanks again:)
Your tastes can change several times, even after surgery. That is why those who try something early out and just don't like the taste, texture, etc, we suggest waiting a month or so and try again.

Early on, I liked several but now, I just drink the Premier Protein RTD that I pick up at Costco by the case.

I'm a premier protein premade user too. I tried straight up whey protein isolate non flavored mixed with many different things and let's just say I was a slave to the porcelain ! Not good...... So I stick to the premier.

@Spiky Bugger I have been meaning to post on the protein powder thread for a update but I found out the hard way that I couldn't tolerate any powder or any type of artificial sweetener both where giving me terrible diarrhea and the sweeteners terrible aftertaste. That was a about 18 months ago.

The only one I could do was egg protein unflavored Now brand.

http://www.amazon.com/Eggwhite-Prot...33202273&sr=1-3&keywords=now+eggwhite+protein

My problem with this was trying not to get a thick meringue type consistency. With one scoop I would use 4oz of coffee (cold) some French vanilla creamer and regular sugar. The taste isn’t bad but the consistency was yucky.

Well I am happy to say I can now tolerate the Now unflavored whey isolate powder and using the same recipe it is not bad at all. I use one scoop and 4-5 oz cold coffee with sugar and French creamer in a shaker cup. Three gulps it is down and I can do this twice a day. Seriously it isn’t bad at all.

http://www.amazon.com/Foods-Whey-Pr...8&sr=1-1&keywords=now+unflavored+whey+protein

@southernlady you could add this to the post on protein powders and shakes so it is there to.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Back