Hello!

You made it through the hardest part. Over the next few weeks, you'll be able to eat real food. It's a lot of trial and error on what will work. Chicken and red meat is taking time for me, but everyone says it will come with time.

Hello again. I was curious about your surgeon so I googled him and it seems he just started doing SADI, which is a single anastomisis Duodenal switch. It has similarities in the name to the traditional duodenal switch, so people sometimes make the mistake of thinking they are the same surgeries, but they aren't. Just to be sure, it is essential that you find out precisely which procedure was done. You can ask if he did a standard DS with two anastomoses, or a new, still experimental procedure called SIPS or SADI, which has a single anastomosis. You can read about this procedure before you talk with him.

This is important for your diet and supplements after surgery. The dietary recommendations are different for the new procedure. If he did a SADI, you have a shortened alimentary tract of 300 cm but ALL of it is common channel. This means you will not eat like the traditional DSers. For example, someone with SADI would not be able to freely eat fats, or as many calories. Your vitamin supplementation will be different as well. If he says he operated with a SADI procedure and not a traditional DS procedure, ask him why, and then ask for guidance about how to eat and what to eat. Also, ask him if you should watch out for bile reflux, which can't happen with a traditional DS.

It may be that he did a traditional DS, but with a new surgeon we don't know, it raises some questions. We are seeing confusion about these procedures and some people who weren't educated about the differences when they chose the surgery.

Come back here and tell us what you learned, because we will be thinking about you. We will help you regardless of what he says.

Thinking about you and hope you have talked with your surgeon and gotten the answer you wanted. Hope your recovery is going well!

Thinking about you and hope you have talked with your surgeon and gotten the answer you wanted. Hope your recovery is going well!
Hi kathryn, thanks for thinking of me! I'm doing well. Beginning my 2nd stage of eating, which is protein drinks and cream soups. I did check my paperwork and it says biliopancreatic something with duodenal switch. I think this is the correct procedure. I'm happy with everything so far. I really like the program, it's very thorough and patient oriented. They follow up constantly and offer support services.

@Ayana1 be careful of cream soups...many of us developed lactose intolerance after surgery. And they are usually made with flour (which can cause bloat).
Ah! Thanks, good to know. I'm going to stick to the protein shakes mostly. The cream soup really doesn't have much protein.

Latest posts

Back