Hello!

Hello and welcome. Can you share more information? Who did your surgery? Do you know your limb lengths?

Staying hydrated is your absolute priority and you need 64 oz of fluids minimal everyday. As far as protein it is secondary now but will be your number one focus after month 1as well as vitamins supplements. The 30/60/90 rule is what you should target the first three months 30 grams of protein is 30 day target. 60 days the target is 60 and then 90 at 90.

Be very careful wit too many carbs right now as it can cause bad and painful gas. Also many people are lactose intolerant after having surgery on intestines.

When you start eating chew very well and take it slow. If you have one bite too much it can cause lots of pain and or vomiting, so slow and one new food at a time. This allows you to see how you tolerate that food.

My sense of taste really was bad the first few months and water as well as all drinks and most food tasted horrible. That gets better with time. I couldn't do protein drinks but if you can then are grwat early on.

Best wishes and ask a lot of questions please.

Welcome!
As Scott said, your #1 priority right now is hydration. Don't sweat the protein or vitamins, your body has stores to get you through the first few rough weeks. And of course walking, short distances frequently, even if just around the house.
I'm not familiar with your surgeon. Is he new to the DS? Do you know the extent of his experience with the DS? We are always on the lookout for more DS surgeons.

Thanks everyone! My surgery was performed by Dr. Gerald Cahill at the Midwest Bariatric Institute at Franciscan St. Margaret in Dyer, IN. He recommended the DS to me for the amount if weight I need to lose. I believe he's very experienced in the DS. So far it's been pretty good. I've not had to take any pain/nausea meds. I get up every hour and walk to the end of my complex and back, about 2 blocks each way. I'm staying hydrated, and still on clear liquids. THAT'S the hard part! I didn't think I'd want to eat but it seems food is EVERYWHERE. Very tempted, and depressing at times like maybe I made the wrong decision, or what's wrong with me that I STILL wanna eat??? But I've been good following the diet because I don't want to end up back in the hospital!

Hello! I am one week post op from DS surgery. Just trying to find out more info about what to expect going forward.
Hi and welcome @Ayana1. You'll find lots of quality information and genuine support here. Looking forward to hearing about your journey.

Sorry @Ayana1 just realized i got side tracked with aaa and so rudely forgot to welcome you. Welcome im excited you found us.

Last edited:
Hi @Ayana1 ! Congratulations on a successful procedure and please stay hydrated as top priority. :) Can't wait to hear about your journey from here!

Latest posts

Back