Hello

One of the things many of us have learned on the journey is we really do not NEED a bariatric surgeon for the long haul. Most bariatric surgeons are cutters...and the aftercare is marginal at best in a vast majority of places. And even those who DO have aftercare programs for the most part give RNY advice to the DS'ers.

So best advice is find a willing PCP to run what tests you require. Young fresh out of doc school is best.

What would you do if you moved to an area with no surgeon or your surgeon moved or died...it has happened.

Make sure you take that info about the PTH to your endo...

Also see these files:
http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/generic-ds-lab-order.191/
http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/vitalady-links.11/

http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/low-iron-or-what-to-take-to-a-hematologist.1498/

Btw, even with good calcium/D/ AND PTH levels, avoiding osteo is not a given as there are too many uncontrollable factors stacked against us;
http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/i-have-osteoperosis-now.906/
@southernlady (sorry I don't know your name): I'm in need of advice about whether I actually need to see an endo, and I'd like to submit my latest labs for some input about how to adjust my supplements. Could you please let me know where and how to post to accomplish this.

Vikki you can turn it around and it is the fault of the medical community for not doing the proper follow up with DS patients to understand our nutritional and supplement needs. The majority are RnY focused and our procedures are as much alike as diabetes is to pancreatic cancer. Sure they both involve the pancreas but the treatment and maintenance are nothing alike. DS and RnY are Bariatric procedures but nothing alike, especially post surgical maintenance.

Don't be yourself up. You found a Great resource in this board. The great ladies who started this board were the backbone if another board (that has since gibe flat out crazy hence we are now here) and without their knowledge on how to eat and vitamins, I would have been in trouble.

My suggestion is to find a good pcp who will order the labs you request and when you want them.. My pcp is great and because of my malnutrition I get monthly labs and all I do is shoot him a quick email telling him it is time and the specific draws I need.

You will get it all straightened and out and we can help.
Thank you so much for the encouragement, Scott. I'd like to post my latest labs and see what can be done with my supplement levels. I want to start taking iron, regardless of medical advice not to bother. Also, I'm thinking I don't really need to see an endocrinologist about the low D; I know why it's low -- I'm obviously not taking enough D. I can get my PCP to order the labs I request, but I need help determining how to fix deficiencies. If I can get some knowledgable folks here to offer advice, that would be great.

@southernlady (sorry I don't know your name): I'm in need of advice about whether I actually need to see an endo, and I'd like to submit my latest labs for some input about how to adjust my supplements. Could you please let me know where and how to post to accomplish this.
I'm Liz actually, southernlady is just a forum name I've used forever!

Okay, start by either uploading a pdf or jpg (picture) of your labs. You might want to sanitize them of personal info by covering up that stuff before scanning them or snapping a photo. That way your personal info such as DOB, SSN, address isn't floating around. Or you can type them out...if you type them, make sure and include the normal range for the lab that was used.

Then post your labs in a new thread in this forum: http://bariatricfacts.org/forums/vitamins-labs.16/

I suspect while it's still possible to need an endo it probably won't be for your PTH.

I'm Liz actually, southernlady is just a forum name I've used forever!

Okay, start by either uploading a pdf or jpg (picture) of your labs. You might want to sanitize them of personal info by covering up that stuff before scanning them or snapping a photo. That way your personal info such as DOB, SSN, address isn't floating around. Or you can type them out...if you type them, make sure and include the normal range for the lab that was used.

Then post your labs in a new thread in this forum: http://bariatricfacts.org/forums/vitamins-labs.16/

I suspect while it's still possible to need an endo it probably won't be for your PTH.
Liz, I don't seem to be able to upload files into my post. I've tried both jpeg and pdf, and they just keep "working" but don't actually upload. Is there something I should know to make it work?

Liz, I don't seem to be able to upload files into my post. I've tried both jpeg and pdf, and they just keep "working" but don't actually upload. Is there something I should know to make it work?
It's possible that 1) they may be too big or 2) you are too new. There is a "waiting" to do that.

Assume they are too big first and maybe break them apart?

It's possible that 1) they may be too big or 2) you are too new. There is a "waiting" to do that.

Assume they are too big first and maybe break them apart?
The files themselves are not very large, around 30 MB (and I'm seeing that the max upload size is 102 MB). Didn't know about the waiting periods. Is there a thread that explains that stuff?

The files themselves are not very large, around 30 MB (and I'm seeing that the max upload size is 102 MB). Didn't know about the waiting periods. Is there a thread that explains that stuff?
What you can do is send them to me and then start your thread. I can attach them for you. I will PM you with my private email.

@Vikki C. Welcome! Glad to see you're already jumping in with both feet here. :) I had to say - I'm REALLY, truly impressed with the information your surgeon gave you back when you had the DS. It's spot-on info (with the exception of the amount of the vites you might have needed obviously) and is SO much better than most DS surgeons give their patients today. Wish more surgeons had the knowledge yours did!

Latest posts

Back