Hello

IndyGirl

Hi everyone! I am here thanks to my mentor and the most amazing artist and person I know - GirlFriday who has supported me throughout my entire journey. Even though it is unprofessional of me to say so I love her and I am so happy that she is part of my life.

I am 18 and will be a senior in high school. My surgery is scheduled for one week from today. I am scared and excited at the same time, lol. There is so much to this. I was originally going to get the sleeve until I found out about the DS, then we decided that was the way to go. I am diabetic and I hope to get off my meds after the surgery. So right now, I weigh 402 pounds. I would like to weigh 120 lol but I don't know if I will get there. So anyway, my mother told me to come here and ask my questions about vitamins because we just had my pre-op class yesterday and now I am more confused than ever, so here are the vitamins that I have on hand:

Kirkland Multi-vitamins
Elemental Iron 65 mg
Bariatric Advantage Calcium Chews 500 mg
Nature's Choice Probiotic 10 billion
Vitamin D3 - 50,000 iu
Super B Complex

My question is, so how do you take them? Or when do you take them? Do I wake up in the morning and take them all with a glass of water at once?

And for after surgery, I am going to get some broth and they gave us protein shakes at the class, so what else do I need to have at home when I get there?

I think that is it for right now. Thank you for your help.

Hi and welcome, and congrats on a very intelligent and mature decision.

You will probably get different vitamin advice from different people. The bottom line is that you will need to get regular lab work and adjust your vitamin regimen to maintain good levels, and that means different amounts for different people.
But for sure, you will need multivits (I take 1/day, many people take more), several doses of calcium each day, at least 2 hours apart (500 mg is the right dose), and your iron. I also use the Bariatric Advantage calcium chews and also their lozenges, which are also 500 mg and you can either chew them or just suck on them til they dissolve. they really got me through the tough first few weeks and I still use them 9 years later. Both of these are also handy because you can take them anywhere, store them in your purse, a pocket, desk, etc, and you don't need water to take them.
You might or might not need the B complex. I have never needed any extra B vitamins beyond what's in my multi. You may be different.
I would add in zinc 50 mg - any brand should work. I present use this 4 times/week, just adjusted in accordance with my labs (was too high, now lower so I increased it).
You will also for sure need the "dry" form of D, at least 50,000 units/day, and A and K. You can get all of these from Vitalady, and hopefully from the new Amazon store this website has just started.

Don't worry about ANY of these vitamins for the first 3 weeks or so. It's hard to take pills at first, and your body has stores of vitamins to get you through the first few difficult weeks. But after that, make this a daily routine that you will continue for the rest of your life.

Welcome, @IndyGirl
Glad you joined up.

I am one who takes three Kirkland Daily Multi's a day. I do follow my labs and I also do not need (yet) any A, E or D but my D varies by day and I have to take double the K.

I take regular Citracal (calcium citrate) but the pills are very large and hard for some. I also take Jarrow Bone UP (I'm 61 and am genetically disposed to osteo and already have it in spite of excellent labs).

Larra is correct, your primary job after surgery is hydration. 64 oz a day MINIMUM. If some of that is protein shakes, great. Vitamins can wait a few weeks. You don't want to wait TOO long but 2-4 weeks before starting is ok. And start with your multi.

As far as what to have at home for right afterwards, do NOT stock up too much. Many discover their tastes change. But sugar fee Popsicle's work as hydration.

Best protein is one YOU like and can afford. I personally drink Premier Protein RTD.

@IndyGirl, welcome! i think i am one of many who has been eagerly waiting to hear from you and wishing you the very best from this brave step you are taking to improve your health. you have received excellent advice above re vitamins.
i would just encourage you to never hesitate to ask questions on this board no matter how small they seem or embarrassing. we all support each other and there is incredible wisdom and kindness here (as well as a "tell it like it is" attitude).
if you are 400 pounds now, i think you should focus on taking one month at a time and see this process as life long. I don't know if you can get to 120 but i'm sure you can get to a point where you look and feel fabulous and are proud of the changes you have made.
take lots of pictures so you can document your journey!

Hi IndyGirl! :) So glad you have joined the group and I really look forward to following your journey! Best wishes.

take lots of pictures so you can document your journey!
Oh yes...a full body photo, along with measurements. And as you lose, save ONE pair of pants and one shirt that you wear now to remind yourself how far you have come in a year, 5, 10, 20...etc.

Thank you all! I am excited to start my life. I have been overweight my whole life and I don't feel like I have even lived yet. I want to go to art school next year and I can't imagine doing it at 400 pounds.

My boss told me that this wasn't a caterpiller to butterfly thing, it was a phoenix rising thing. I think that is the best analogy.

Most of all, I can't wait until I get my own baggie of bacon to carry around with me, just like her. LOL!!!

And I bet you made EVERYONE jealous!

Actually I did. The CFO looked at me and said, "You brought bacon? You are going to just sit there and eat bacon in front of us?" I said, "Yes I am, and you are going to sit there and be jealous." The next day, I saw him and he held up a baggie with bacon it and just smiled at me.

welcome Indie girl. You are so brave to be so young.

My daughter is used to being a model type weighing 120-125. Well 17 months ago she had my grandson. Well she only lost 20 pounds of baby weight and is 200 and wanting the surgery. However, she wants me to do everything for her and get it set up. I told her she was not ready for surgery or mature enough. When she is truly ready we will know because she will be like you , she will take the bull by the horns and handle what she needs to.

Its so great that you are doing it while your young so many of us wish would have known earlier than when we did find out. All those extra years of suffering with obesity and all its great comorbidities that com with it. GOOD FOR YOU! Welcome

Latest posts

Back