Hello!

vikkiclark

I'm Vikki. I was a member a few years back, but just rejoined. I had BPD/DS in 2000. I initially lost from 365 to 184, then regained up to 205, and have remained there for many years. My labs have been mostly good except for the typical DS struggles with Vit D, calcium and iron. Over the years, it has become obvious that I don't absorb iron in any significant way, so the hematologist advised that we keep an eye on iron status and infuse when necessary. Calcium and Vitamin D are now under control with 100,000 units D daily, and 2400 mg. calcium citrate (liquid cal/mag/D formula).

I had surgery with Dr. Macura at Staten Island University Hospital in NY.

I'm currently trying to research the best diagnosis codes to use for postop bloodwork. I have a new PCP who is unfamiliar with the required annual bloodwork, and I want to be sure the best codes are used on my lab slip. Any input would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Welcome back and good luck with testing coverage!
Thank you hilary. I haven't had much trouble with the coding in the past, but my old PCP knew which codes to use. My daughter, on the other hand, who also had BPD/DS, now has insurance that won't touch anything having to do with bariatrics. She did require a small bowel resection for bowel obstruction after her DS, so she's thinking of asking her dr to code the lab work with malnutrition dx codes pertaining to that surgery. It's a shame that insurers can get away with denying obesity-related charges, when they readily pay for just about any other diagnosis. It seems to be one of the last accepted prejudices, even in the medical field.

Last edited:
Thank you hilary. I haven't had much trouble with the coding in the past, but my old PCP knew which codes to use. My daughter, on the other hand, who also had BPD/DS, now has insurance that won't touch anything having to do with bariatrics. She did require a small bowel resection for bowel obstruction after her DS, so she's thinking of asking her dr to code the lab work with malnutrition dx codes pertaining to that surgery. It's a shame that insurers can get away with denying obesity-related charges, when they readily pay for just about any other diagnosis. It's seems to be one of the last accepted prejudices, even in the medical field.
Welcome back and yes, this is true. They will pay for you to be everything but fat. Even if the fat is causing most of your other problems.

Latest posts

Back