Hello, I'm new here!!

MamaMolash

Hi everybody,

I'm new here. I had open RNY 3/31/2009. I had diabetes, high BP and I also have lymphedema in my legs. After surgery and still i have lost the diabetes and high BP. My high weight was 317. A main goal.of the surgery was to get healthy and have a healthy pregnancy. My low weight after RNY was 196. After waiting the suggested amount of time I got pregnant and had a baby girl in 2011, then a baby boy in 2013 followed by my last baby girl in 2015. I now find my self close to the place I started in 2009. I am back to 279 and my lymphedema and knees really bother me. I think I actually feel worse because I know how good 196 felt..lol now I need to get healthy again for the 3 little ones as well as me. I know the pouch is suppose to stretch over time but I just seem to be hungry....alot and often. Looking into having some tests done to see if it's all in my mind or if a revision would help....

Hi and welcome!
What needs to be assessed is not just the pouch, but the size of the stoma (the opening between the pouch and the small intestine). If that has become too wide, it doesn't matter how small the pouch is, because whatever you eat just falls out of the pouch into the intestine, leaving you hungry again. It sounds like that may be what's going on. This is a common reason for weight regain after gastric bypass, and also can cause reactive hypoglycemia.
I don't know what kind of revision you would be interested in, but will caution you not to waste your money on any of the endoscopic procedures some docs are touting these days. They are not covered by insurance because they are considered experimental, they cost about 10K, and bottom line, they don't work. People lose a bit for the first few weeks because they're on a liquid diet. That's it.

Hi and welcome!
What needs to be assessed is not just the pouch, but the size of the stoma (the opening between the pouch and the small intestine). If that has become too wide, it doesn't matter how small the pouch is, because whatever you eat just falls out of the pouch into the intestine, leaving you hungry again. It sounds like that may be what's going on. This is a common reason for weight regain after gastric bypass, and also can cause reactive hypoglycemia.
I don't know what kind of revision you would be interested in, but will caution you not to waste your money on any of the endoscopic procedures some docs are touting these days. They are not covered by insurance because they are considered experimental, they cost about 10K, and bottom line, they don't work. People lose a bit for the first few weeks because they're on a liquid diet. That's it.

Yeah when I started looking at options I thought it would be simple. Then it seemed like anything related to another RNY did not have a good success rate. I would hate to go through all that for 20 or 30 pounds and regain. So I turned to the thought of a DS if anything. I have a phone consult with Dr. Greenbaum next week. I am hoping he can guide me into what I need to do to find out what is going on or even if I qualify.

I'm glad you are skipping over the things that won't help and are looking into DS revision. I hope Dr. Greenbaum has some helpful words for you. You've definitely got your hands full with the little ones and getting back down to a smaller weight would be so wonderful for you and your whole family! Let us know how the consult goes.

Hi and welcome @MamaMolash! I have lipoedema and sometimes lymphedema secondary to that in my legs, so can symphathize on that front. I did find DS reduced the tissue and swelling quite a bit, but still rock some lovely elvarex stockings to keep things under control. All the best as you explore and decide whether to revise. :)

Last edited:
Welcome! Best of luck to you. This place is full of knowledgeable and kind people. You'll be glad you came :)

Latest posts

Back