Hello from Texas, newbie here

Monica37tx

Thanks in advance for all of the amazing information I am sure to receive from this site. Here are my quick stats: lapband 5/8/2004 @ 426#, Dr. Sanchez, Monterrey Mx. Low weight 268, maintained for 6 years. Today, 328#, looking for experienced revision surgeon to DS switch. Help!

Have seen 2 WLS about conversion and neither were interested because I was banded in Mexico. I choose Dr. Sanchez in 2004 not because of price, but because after extensive research, he was one of the top 2 lapband surgeons in the world. My BMI was 68, so that was very important.

I will find someone with the revision experience I am looking for, because I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. I want to be able to move again. I want to be able to chase my 3 year old nephew around the yard. I want to live again.

Thanks for listening

Monica

Welcome Monica! Don't know where you are in TX but check out Dr. Ayoola in Denton. That's the DFW area. He is probably the best in TX.

Hi @Monica37tx ! I agree about Dr. Ayoola. He definitely does revisions, and all DS surgeons do lap band to DS revisions because the failure rate for lap band is so high. I suspect the other two surgeons you saw don't really do the DS at all. It probably had nothing to do with your having had surgery in Mexico. Dr. Ayoola even does gastric bypass to DS revisions, which are far harder than from lap band. So he has the experience and skill you are looking for.

Dr. Esquerra in Mexicali MX does band to DS and has done so for many on this site. (I was virgin DS with him.) He is a great surgeon. I only have good things to say about him and the facility in Mexicali.

U.S. doctors are so arrogant in their belief that physicians from non-English speaking countries they consider inferior are therefore inferior surgeons.

Dr. Esquerra in Mexicali MX does band to DS and has done so for many on this site. (I was virgin DS with him.) He is a great surgeon. I only have good things to say about him and the facility in Mexicali.

U.S. doctors are so arrogant in their belief that physicians from non-English speaking countries they consider inferior are therefore inferior surgeons.

You are so right about the arrogance. Thank you for this suggestion, he too sounds like a great choice

Hi @Monica37tx and welcome!

I was a band to DS revision, and I have to say that it's really life changing. It's amazing to eat something and know you're not going to have to roll the dice on whether it will go down and stay down. Imagine eating in a restaurant without having prepositioned yourself near the bathroom!

It's been a year since surgery and I'm down 100lbs, something the band could never do for me.

Looking forward to hearing more about your journey.

Hi @Monica37tx and welcome!

I was a band to DS revision, and I have to say that it's really life changing. It's amazing to eat something and know you're not going to have to roll the dice on whether it will go down and stay down. Imagine eating in a restaurant without having prepositioned yourself near the bathroom!

It's been a year since surgery and I'm down 100lbs, something the band could never do for me.

Looking forward to hearing more about your journey.

I'm ready. I'm so ready. While I have no doubt that the band saved my life, it is no longer useful.

I am going to check with Dr. Esquerra and see if he is up to the task of removing this almost 13 year old band and setting me free with a DS.

Welcome! I love my DS. I had it with Dr. Esquerra too. I thought it was crazy at first to go to Mexico, but ended up working out well.

here is a video that talked about the process and it helped and went through the whole process -

Ask questions, happy to help.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back