Hello from Ontario, Canada!

TLC

Hi everyone. I am TLC, I am from Northern Ontario, Canada.
I have RNY in April 2014 that failed. I am currently in the process of have a DS done.
Anyone else out there having the same revision done? I'd love to hear from you!

Hi again! Great to see you here. I will step back and let others express their opinons as you've already heard a bit from me.

Hi TLC. Welcome. I haven't had a revision so others will have to chime in.

Hi @TLC and welcome. I'm a revision but from the crap band to DS but I did want to welcome you :)

@TLC I am a distal RNY to DS. There are not many of us revisions front RNY to Ds on here. Much smaller group than from any other surgery to DS. Anything I can help you with let me know! WELCOME

Hi TLC and welcome!

I am a different than normal revision as I had to have my original DS channels, specifically the AL limb lengthened as I was severely malabsorbing and malnourished. Dr Keshishian in Glendal, California did my surgery and frankly with a revision he and Dr Rabkin in San Francisco are the most trusted in the world to perform this very complex surgery......so it is very important to have a very skilled surgeon do this revision and therefore I need to ask:
  1. Do you have a surgeon lined up or are you exploring at this point?
  2. If so who is the surgeon?
  3. Do you have a date?
  4. Do you have a plan for what he/she is going to do (estimated channnel lengths based on your history, sleeve size, open vs Lap, etc)?
Good luck and welcome.....there is A TON of great information and resources here so read all the old posts and ask lots of questions. This is a big decision in your life and you want it done correctly with no regrets. You have been through one failed Bariatric surgery and this will be your last chance.

Hello @TLC and welcome! I had RNY about 12 years ago and will be revised to DS in January. If you look under the revision forum you will see a few postings on the topic.

If you do not mind me asking, can you explain more about having a RNY in 2014 that "failed"?

Hi again!
I thought I was going to just let others post, at least for awhile, and then I saw the ugly stuff that was posted to you...shall we say elsewhere...and wanted to come back in to say that I hope you will let that stuff roll off your back and go forward with your plans to do what you need to do for your health, which is really what bariatric surgery is all about. It is so easy for people to be judgmental! In reality, the failure rate for gastric bypass is much higher than most people realize going into it. We see a remarkable number of people wanting revision from what is supposedly the "gold standard" of bariatric surgery. The reality is that the operation relies almost entirely on restriction, as the caloric malabsorption of gastric bypass is minimal. If you lose all or most of the restriction, you are left back where you started. And there is no evidence that dumping enhances weight loss, it's really just a potentially very nasty side effect that some (not all) people with gastric bypass have to live with.
If you have eating issues, deal with them, but get the medical help you need as well. We know from many studies that once someone is MO, the odds of getting to/staying at anything close to a normal weight are less than 5%. We have these operations because we need help. If the operation you already have isn't helping you, it's time for an operation that will.
At least that's my opinion, for what it's worth.

Hello and welcome @TLC . You are certainly not alone in having had the RNY fail you. In my view, the most important thing is to get to a skilled, well-known and experienced revision-to-DS surgeon for evaluation and guidance. Wishing you all the best!

Latest posts

Back