Hello Everyone, I'm new here

Daisy

Good morning everyone, my name is Daisy. I am 4 months post-op from a duodenal switch. I decided to join the group today because I feel like I have become obsessed about my weight and even though I have an amazing husband who is very supportive, I just wanted to talk to people who understood what I was going through. To be honest, none of my friends or family know I had the surgery, just my husband. My beginning weight prior to surgery was 353 pounds, I am currently at 282 pounds, a loss of 71 pounds. Prior to my surgery, I wore tops that were size 3X, and pants that were size 28 or 30. This is where I feel like I have become obsessed with my weight. Even after a 70 pound weight loss, I still continue to wear the same clothes that I wore before the surgery. I have been able to fit into some of my 2X tops that I had from the past. I am also able to move from wearing my size 30 pants to my size 28 pants because the 30s are too big. I guess I have a hard time with the reality that I have lost 70 pounds and I'm still wearing the same clothes that I wore before I lost the 70 pounds. The main areas that I do notice the weight loss are my upper arms, thighs and in my bra size, everything else is pretty much the same. I have only had a 2 inch loss on my waist and a 2 inch loss on my hips. I guess I am just frustrated and expected to see more of a difference. Thanks for listening everybody, have a great day!

Welcome and congratulations on bring 4 months post DS! Good job on 70 off! It'll start being more apparent soon. Regarding the clothes...I think many of us should have been in bigger sizes than we wore, either because of elastic and being stretched to the max or clothes being older and stretched out!

Try not to worry, you're doing great. How is it going for you as far as getting protein in? Are you on a vitamin regimen?

Welcome and congratulations on bring 4 months post DS! Good job on 70 off! It'll start being more apparent soon. Regarding the clothes...I think many of us should have been in bigger sizes than we wore, either because of elastic and being stretched to the max or clothes being older and stretched out!

Try not to worry, you're doing great. How is it going for you as far as getting protein in? Are you on a vitamin regimen?

Thanks for the kind words...Protein has been a struggle for me for many years. Three years prior to surgery I developed 5 esophageal strictures from radiation. I had them dialated many times and they were doing much better... but for some reason after surgery they seemed to become worse again. The strictures make it very difficult to swallow proteins such as beef, pork and chicken. Prior to surgery I was drinking protein shakes but it is like my taste in food has also changed because it takes all I have to choke half of one down a day. I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease years ago so have had malabsorption issues for a very long time. I got to the point prior to surgery that I was taking 15 different vitamin/supplements a day. Now I use a vitamin patch and take 3 vitamins/supplements orally. In addition to the surgery and Celiac Disease I learned I had several food allergies and it is has become very difficult to find many protein powders that are gluten free, soy free and sugar free. I have recently begun using unflavored protein bit it is still a chore to get what I need daily.

Hello.

Have you taken pictures and/or measurements? Those may help you in that they're NSVs. I agree with Susan, I think you'll see it soon in your clothing.

How often are you weighing? I ask only bc you stated you're feeling obsessed. That first year I only weighed at my surgeon's office. That way I never saw the ups, downs or plateaus. I only saw what he saw. I'm not saying that won't keep you from looking at your clothing sizes, but it may help in another area: the scale.

As for only your husband knowing about your DS; same with me. Only my immediate family & physicians know I had it done and this is almost 12 years after the fact. Many people like to share it and I think that's great. You may choose to as well as time goes on. It's a very personal decision.

Hello.

Have you taken pictures and/or measurements? Those may help you in that they're NSVs. I agree with Susan, I think you'll see it soon in your clothing.

How often are you weighing? I ask only bc you stated you're feeling obsessed. That first year I only weighed at my surgeon's office. That way I never saw the ups, downs or plateaus. I only saw what he saw. I'm not saying that won't keep you from looking at your clothing sizes, but it may help in another area: the scale.

As for only your husband knowing about your DS; same with me. Only my immediate family & physicians know I had it done and this is almost 12 years after the fact. Many people like to share it and I think that's great. You may choose to as well as time goes on. It's a very personal decision.

We took measurements before surgery and I have my husband help me take them monthly...there has been a 3 inch reduction in my upper arm, 4 inch in my bust measurements, 3 inches in my thighs and 2 inches in both my waist and hips. I weigh weekly on Sunday morning. I think the obsession with my weight mainly revolves around my clothing. My clothing has never been very tight...I developed a bad habit of pulling my pants up and down without having to button/unbutton them, even blue jeans. If I couldn't get them on and off with out unbuttoning them, then I didn't want to wear them. I have thought about just throwing away clothes that are too large so I don't continue to question whether I am losing weight because I am still wearing my before clothes. I also know my comparing myself to others isn't helpful...for example my best friend lost 25 lbs and went from a size 10 to a size 6...I lose 70 lbs and go from a size 30 to a size 28. I try to take it one day at a time but some days are harder than others.

There you go re: the measurements. There's obviously a loss. How about pictures? I took one preop & every 3 months that first year and now take one every year on my anniversary.

To be honest, I don't weigh often. It can still affect my mood too much. So you're not alone.

Definitely sounds as if your clothing isn't going to show anything right now. If you can pull pants up and down without unbuttoning them, then you're right. They're not a true fit. Esp. if you can do that with jeans. My jeans are baggy at my flat butt. But I don't think I could pull them up w/o unbuttoning them.

Sounds as if you're on your way. :)

Last edited:
Welcome @Daisy
Another thing to consider is that above about a size 12-14, you have to lose 10-15 lbs to show a reduction in size. And that amount increases as you cross into the plus sizes.

Smaller sizes such as the 6-8, as little as 5 lbs can make a difference.

What I would do is go shopping with a very honest friend for clothes that actually fit. Even if you don't buy them, try them on to see what your true size is after losing 70 lbs.

Odd rule of weight loss. The place you want to lose the most will always be the last to go!!!

I second @southernlady . Go shopping and see what size you really wear! You don't have to buy, just look and do some real trying on. Me personally, I learned to love the thrift stores. Even now, I always look there first!

Latest posts

Back