Hell Freezes Over

DianaCox

Bad Cop
I am well-known for never having a protein shake, because they are GROSS, and because they are SWEET - when I'm hungry, the LAST thing I want is sweet. And I'm a big believer in EATING protein as FOOD, not medicine.

My latest labs showed me to be a smidge low on protein, and frankly, I haven't been that hungry lately - and I've gotten picky, and high protein, my very bestest friend, has not been sounding good to me for some reason. I've been too sedentary I know, and I've lost about 10 lbs in the last couple of months, but I think mostly muscle mass. I am NOT heading in the right direction, and I know that I have to do something about it.

On my sister's (@OldBroad) recommendation (after I recommended it to her blindly, based on other people's recommendations), I FINALLY bought some Unjury Chicken Soup flavored protein powder. I prepared to down it while holding my nose if necessary.

I am happy to report that that stuff is delicious! It tastes like a thin-ish cream of chicken soup, nicely but mildly seasoned (definitely with the chicken-y and mild garlicky taste I like) and it's even just barely salty enough for my taste. No nasty aftertaste either. The only trick is to let the hot water from the dispenser cool down to 140 before adding the powder or it will curdle.

And 21 g of protein in 8 oz.

http://www.unjury.com/catalog/category/view/id/13

Last edited:
LOL...sometimes you DO need to listen to your sister, LOL.

Glad it's good. I'm doing okay with the Premier Protein RTD. But it sounds like I could give it a try since I much prefer broth or soup. I am suffering from the same lack of interest in food. It helps to keep stuff handy but NOTHING is sounding good.

I'm glad you finally tried it and liked it, @DianaCox. I am having a cup every few days. I even got a digital food thermometer so I can mix it up and drink it as soon as the water goes below 140F. I don't like it nearly as much when it gets lukewarm. I also don't mind the Unjury Chocolate Splendor and Vanilla flavors mixed up with whole milk. Sometimes in the morning the sweet shakes are the only high protein foods that appeal to me.

Another high protein food I tolerate pretty well is Quest Bars Peanut Butter. They are expensive ($2+ per bar when bought in a box of 12) and not exactly delicious, but they have 20g protein and 20g fiber. Watch out for other Quest flavors. Some of them have as much as 6 grams of "-itol" sugar alcohols in them.

I am struggling to get my protein grams up. Part of it is that most high protein foods have a dense texture that fills me up with only a few bites. If anyone has ideas about how to eat larger quantities of high protein foods, I'm open to suggestions.

cool, I have used Unjury for years - when I got the crap band. I will have to try the chicken again - it has been a while. I like to take the chocolate, made with milk then add peanut butter - mmmmmmm but yeah, it is sweet.

The housegift from Robs when he came for our ribeye steak party was a digital meat thermometer which I am using to measure the temp of the water too - it comes out of our bottled water dispenser at about 170F, so I let it cool to 140 first - but then you need to drink it quick because yeah, not so good when it's tepid. But it's only 8 oz, so that is not that much.

My go-to breakfast when I'm not feeling hungry for dense breakfast food (and what I had this morning, for precisely that reason) is hot and sour soup made with two jumbo eggs:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H1195C...1438297306&sr=sr-1&keywords=hot+and+sour+soup

8 g protein per jumbo egg - 16 g protein, plus 2 g from the soup mix = 18 g.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hmmmm ... I'm thinking of making egg drop "soup" with water and adding the Unjury chicken soup powder when the temp comes down to 140F ... maybe a pinch of onion flake and parsley ...

Nope, still not touching that protein drink shit with a 10 foot pole! :D

but glad it is working for you and if I had to try one again, I always did like Cream of Chicken soup (of course with milk) so I would maybe try this one.

@OldBroad, I have heard about the Quest bars causing a lot of GI distress because of the -Itols. I used to eat them a lot pre-op bc they are so low carb. Thanks for the tip on the peanut butter. That was one of my favorite flavors!

I'm glad you finally tried it and liked it, @DianaCox. I am having a cup every few days. I even got a digital food thermometer so I can mix it up and drink it as soon as the water goes below 140F. I don't like it nearly as much when it gets lukewarm. I also don't mind the Unjury Chocolate Splendor and Vanilla flavors mixed up with whole milk. Sometimes in the morning the sweet shakes are the only high protein foods that appeal to me.

Another high protein food I tolerate pretty well is Quest Bars Peanut Butter. They are expensive ($2+ per bar when bought in a box of 12) and not exactly delicious, but they have 20g protein and 20g fiber. Watch out for other Quest flavors. Some of them have as much as 6 grams of "-itol" sugar alcohols in them.

I am struggling to get my protein grams up. Part of it is that most high protein foods have a dense texture that fills me up with only a few bites. If anyone has ideas about how to eat larger quantities of high protein foods, I'm open to suggestions.
I eat cheap old Nature Valley protein bars.. 10g protein 14 carbs I think... No alcohols and they taste Good unlike the saw dust and glue qwest bars.. Sorry I could not do those things. I would eat the Nature Valley even if didn't eat them for protein.

You are lucky with respect to your ability to eat carbs. I am only 6 weeks out and am staying away from all grains etc for now to maximize my weight loss in this honeymoon period. I don't see carbs in my future except in very limited quantities based on my metabolism at least as I knew it.

Yeah, I love the Nature Valley Protein Bars (the almond and dark chocolate ones especially), but I've got to beware of those 14g of carbs. I have them in the house, but try not to eat more than one every other day. The Quest peanut butter bar is just barely palatable, but has 20g protein and only 4g effective carbs (21 total, 17g fiber, 2g sugar). I choke one down at the end of the day if I'm 20g+ short of my protein goal. Then I have a single square of good dark chocolate.;)

Yeah, I love the Nature Valley Protein Bars (the almond and dark chocolate ones especially), but I've got to beware of those 14g of carbs. I have them in the house, but try not to eat more than one every other day. The Quest peanut butter bar is just barely palatable, but has 20g protein and only 4g effective carbs (21 total, 17g fiber, 2g sugar). I choke one down at the end of the day if I'm 20g+ short of my protein goal. Then I have a single square of good dark chocolate.;)
You can as liz @southernlady her thoughts but I don't subscribe to the net carb theory being any less carbs than regular carbs. Then again I also don't believe that restricting carbs is healthy for us. Not saying to go eat a ton of carbs but 14 grams is nothing that I would be afraid of. Our bodies need carbs Just like they need proteins so balance is key.

Part of my issue with weight loss losing too much) is that my lack of carb absorption is hurting my protein stores. It is complicated and my GI explained it well but I don't know that I can other than not getting enough carbs can hurt protein absorption.

In any case I am the odd duck and not the typical DS patient so take me with a grain of salt. I have always preached the mantra of balance in life and believe it true with us for food intake as well.

I just might have to try that one. I make a really cool Tortilla soup that I use a lot of chicken broth in and this sounds like it could be a good addition and a great way to sneak in an extra 20g or so of protein.

Latest posts

Back