Have any of you folks used a Hematologist since ya surgery?

Will2014

Just wondering if anyone has needed one to help with lab problems or other needs. Thinking maybe I should see one about my high ferritin levels and my continued weight loss. Down to 183 lbs now, and I've started the creon a week ago. What exactly do they do? Any info would be mucho appreciated!
:thumbup:

I saw a hema last summer for low iron. As far as the continued weight loss, they will tell you to see your bariatric surgeon NOW that you've had WLS...which in your case is gonna be impossible. Maybe your PCP would have some ideas...I'm thinking a gastro?

I've been seeing a hematologist for the past three years. I had very low ferritin but my overall iron was good. It took infusions every 3 months for 2 years to get my levels up high enough.

How high is your ferritin? How are your other iron levels?

My ferritin was in high 500's but was last down to 483 or so. My iron levels are low normal or slightly below normal, as was my hemoglobin. Kinda weird I guess but I'm actually less alarmed about it now. I'll just be less ambitious with my Iron supplementation...and see what next labs bring (about 5 weeks away). I actually see a gastroenterologist as my primary Dr.-a very good caring guy. He's got me on Creon because of my Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency diagnosis and continued weight loss. I've been eating VERY well of late! Seem to have turned a real corner in the past couple of weeks. Remember the 7-9 month post op period when all of a sudden a switch seemed to go on and eating a whole meal became possible again? Well, this seems to be a similar story for me at 14 months out. I'm eating whole steaks every day now...unheard of for me since my surgery. I did over do it 2x's in past 2 weeks and vomited slightly....wasn't used to all the meat eating. :p But I've stopped losing...I think...and seem to be holding at 181.4 lbs. Appreciate all the kind words and you all thinking of me. I'll keep yas posted!
:thanksgivingdinner:

I would certainly say keep on top of it. It never hurts to have a hematologist look at your panels. They are experts on blood after all. :)

I tend to have more of a preventative nature and would rather check something out and be assured it was fine than not do it and have it bite me in the rear later.

@Will2014 I apologize for hijacking your thread, but @talitali it's great to see you here! Haven't seen you in a couple years. Glad you're ok. Now that you're here, don't be a stranger.

And Will, I haven't seen a hematologist and won't unless I need iron infusions some day. Haven't yet, but you never know what the future may hold. I suspect your high ferritin is from your enthusiastic iron supplementation and that if you back off it will gradually come back down. Meanwhile, enjoy not needing transfusions and keep up the good work.

Wow, Will, that sounds really encouraging! Especially your appetite getting better, great news!

Latest posts

Back