Have any of you ever had a bone marrow biopsy?

I too am having iron problems. I recently moved and lost access to my highly mineralized well water. My nephew once told me it smelled like blood! Iron supplements make me sick. So now I have to see a Hematologist...a new once. I'm hoping my last Hematologist left notes and results of my last bone marrow, because I'm not going through that again. My last bone marrow showed a slight repression of all three blood cell lines (WBC, RBC, and Platelets). It took me a long time to prove to the Hematologist that it was due to zinc and copper deficiencies. So now my iron is 35 (50-170), TIBC 467 (250-450) and Iron Sat 7.5 (20 - 55). My Hbg 11.1 & Hct 35.4 (which is pretty much par for the course). Hess told me I would be chronically anemic for the rest of my life. The iron levels however are causing me to be lightheaded upon rising, slightly short of breath, and I easily tire. Just give me the dang infusions! But noooooooo I have to go through the holidays feeling like crap. Two weeks to see my MD...then another wait to see the Hematologist. BAH. Did I mention that being tired makes me a crabby ass?
I just got the lab results from last Monday. My WBC is elevated and has been for a month. A couple of other things are high but not ridiculously high but I would be lying if I said those things being high don't worry. My other numbers are bad and or declining as well. iron is right at bottom of range but dropping again but saturation is below range and dropping fast as well. this after two infusions a month ago. Something isn't right that is for sure .

Oh,my cholesterol is stupid low at 76 and MY AS & ALT are 13. I read a study that said the onend being low means I am at risk of increased all cause mortality .

And I definitely have the crabass! :Do

Thanks darling. It is the hip. I am already hurting in that general region anyway and my bones have ached for pver 2 years, so this wimp is getting sedation. Hopefully it will be just like you said.

Mine was hip, too, FYI. They are boring though the bone, yes, but they are using a corkscrew like device and taking a tiny sliver - you almost have to squint to see it. I don't want to underplay it just in case, but, in my experience, it wasn't nearly as bad as it was made out to be. Like most of these things, thinking about it is far worse than just doing it. Kind of like the DS.

You're going to be OK. Promise.

Well maybe things have changed. But when I used to go help with the procedure it was a big needle that they pushed through the bone. Then they draw up the plunder to pull out the bone marrow sample. The drawing up action also causes a pressure sensation.

I too am having iron problems. I recently moved and lost access to my highly mineralized well water. My nephew once told me it smelled like blood! Iron supplements make me sick. So now I have to see a Hematologist...a new once. I'm hoping my last Hematologist left notes and results of my last bone marrow, because I'm not going through that again. My last bone marrow showed a slight repression of all three blood cell lines (WBC, RBC, and Platelets). It took me a long time to prove to the Hematologist that it was due to zinc and copper deficiencies. So now my iron is 35 (50-170), TIBC 467 (250-450) and Iron Sat 7.5 (20 - 55). My Hbg 11.1 & Hct 35.4 (which is pretty much par for the course). Hess told me I would be chronically anemic for the rest of my life. The iron levels however are causing me to be lightheaded upon rising, slightly short of breath, and I easily tire. Just give me the dang infusions! But noooooooo I have to go through the holidays feeling like crap. Two weeks to see my MD...then another wait to see the Hematologist. BAH. Did I mention that being tired makes me a crabby ass?
AH HA! For years I have theorized about the relationship between highly mineralized well water and the fact that I had no deficiencies. My water also sort of smelled like blood! Luckily when I moved menopause happened and I have been able to maintain with oral supplementation.

Latest posts

Back