Halloumi cheese?

JackieOnLine

Staff member
you ever heard of this?

Halloumi is a cheese originally from the Cyprus area, though now is popular all throughout the Middle East. It’s a tough to describe, but once you’ve had it, you’ll never forget. It’s firm in texture, but tastes similar to mozzarella.

saw it on Food renegade, doesn't this look good, so colorful

Haloumi is so good! I worked with a ton of Greeks for a long time so I know a thing or 2 about the food. Oh yeah, and the language, but mostly pertaining to things with little kids. Katse kala pedia, efharisto :D

I'm pretty sure it would be good over zoodles or spaghetti squash too! I haven't tried it yet because both these cheeses are hard to find. I don't get them very often.

Yup. Noodles made from zucchini. The little gizmo that makes them is called a zoodle maker. I blanch them in salted boiling water and serve.

Ha, just got a block of this at the local international market.. where I get beef tendon & pig skin, and pork noodles (basically looks like clear-ish dried rice noodles in a bag, but made of pigskin..) Todd spotted them, I cooked them up, and topped with spag sauce= protein-y very filling noodles! I'm a weird eater. They work well in soups too..

I'm going to try a diff brand of that cheese, but browned it in a skillet and ate a chunk of it plain. Totally yummy but way too salty for me.. again, likely another brand would be better.

Also got some labneh.. since they didn't have Fage total this time. I think I like it better than straight cream cheese for spreading. It's got a little yogurt tang, the fatty-creamy thickness near Philly, but just a touch more refreshing tasting.

I've got a zoodle maker saved on my Amazon wish list, I need to put it in my cart on the next order.

I like Halloumi browned in a skillet and then eaten with salsa, guacamole, & sour cream.
I also use it to make a grilled cheese sandwich, like it's bread.
I haven't eaten it in a while, but I ate it a lot when I was in my losing phase.

Ha, just got a block of this at the local international market.. where I get beef tendon & pig skin, and pork noodles (basically looks like clear-ish dried rice noodles in a bag, but made of pigskin..) Todd spotted them, I cooked them up, and topped with spag sauce= protein-y very filling noodles! I'm a weird eater. They work well in soups too..

I'm going to try a diff brand of that cheese, but browned it in a skillet and ate a chunk of it plain. Totally yummy but way too salty for me.. again, likely another brand would be better.

Also got some labneh.. since they didn't have Fage total this time. I think I like it better than straight cream cheese for spreading. It's got a little yogurt tang, the fatty-creamy thickness near Philly, but just a touch more refreshing tasting.

I've got a zoodle maker saved on my Amazon wish list, I need to put it in my cart on the next order.
I need to look for some pork noodles!

Latest posts

Back