get-lean mistakes you're making

newanatomy

Reducing carbs to zero

Studies have shown that dietary carbohydrates are an important factor in the levels of T3, a thyroid hormone that controls metabolism. Studies where subjects consumed zero carbohydrates for two weeks resulted in a 47 percent decline in their metabolism. In addition, performance in the gym can and will be negatively impacted because glycogen is part of what's used in the production of ATP (adenosine triphosphate), the energy currency of the body. Along the same lines, 120-130 grams of carbohydrates per day has been shown to help maintain a healthy amount of T3s. The lowest amount of carbohydrates that has been shown to cause little change in the levels of T3 was 50 grams.
The fix: Don’t go on a carb crash diet. Studies show that two lower-carb days per week (fewer than 100 grams) is more beneficial for fat loss. Try two consecutive days per week, never going lower than 50 grams.

http://healthyliving.msn.com/weight-loss/6-get-lean-mistakes-youre-making#3

This makes me feel better about my carbs being between 50 and 75 grams even though I am always trying to stay at 50 or below. :eek:

No re-feeds

The higher your body fat levels the more circulating letpins in your body. A significant part of leptin’s job is informing the brain (via the hypothalamus) how much energy the body has stored (body fat) and coming in (calories, specifically carbohydrates). If leptin levels are low, your brain signals the body to lower your energy expenditure. One of the mechanisms through which it does this is through lowering your metabolism. Leptin levels can drop by 50 percent after a week of dieting, which slows your metabolism.
The fix: Scheduling a re-feed day consisting of low-fat, high-carb meals raises leptin back up to respectable levels, thus raising metabolism back up. The leaner you get, the more frequent the re-feeds should be scheduled.

I'm not sure how suited this is to the DS diet as we need mass protein just to absorb some and we absorb most/all carbs....so I dunno. I do know some have had thyroid issues post op, so who knows :/

Latest posts

Back