First Lab Results - PTH TOO low and Glucose high?

more2adore

Okay, so I got my first lab results! There were a few things of note and I was hoping you guys could help me make sure I stay on the right track! I'm really interested in your thoughts on PTH/Transferrin/Glucose results!

Iron Studies:

Iron 23.3 (Normal 10.0-30.0) umol/L
*Transferrin 2.01 (Normal 2.10-3.80) g/L
Saturation 46 (Normal 15-45) %
Ferritin 331 (Normal 10-120) ug/L

Lab Note: Ferritin values above the reference range together with a low level of transferrin may be seen with inflammation, liver disease and also increased iron stores.

My notes: Endo is having me back off iron supplementation to every other day instead of every day. She is having me tested again in 3 weeks to see if the Transferrin levels are any better. She was more concerned about Transferrin levels than any of my other test results. Though the lab mentions liver disease as a possible cause, I had liver function blood tests at the same time - all came back fine.

B12 and Folate Results:

Both within normal ranges.

Parathyroid Hormone

*PTH 1.4 pmol/L (Normal 1.5-7.1)

My notes: Doc didn't seem TOO concerned about this but does want to keep an eye on it. It's interesting to me since I know many folks who have the DS have an issue with their PTH being too high. My calcium levels are well within range (see below).

Calcium

Calcium 2.33 (Normal 2.15-2.55) mmol/L
Adj. Calcium 2.35 (Normal 2.15-2.55) mmol/L

Magnesium

*0.65 (Normal 0.70-1.10) mmol/L

My notes: Guessing this is maybe due to the Calcium supplementation? I'll be supplementing Magnesium now, too.

Glucose

*5.7 mmol/L (Normal fasting 3.0-5.4 mmol/L)

My notes: Does anyone know if fasting too long could have taken me from normal to 5.7? I've never had a high glucose reading before, ever, but I had been fasting for about 17 hours at the time of the test. The phlebotomist warned me it could skew the results, but my endo seemed convinced it would not skew the results THAT much.

She already thought I was insulin resistant (from a combination of my size and doing a physical examination of my skin previously) but I'd never had a less-than-perfect blood sugar test before so she decided last time I saw her not to put me on Metformin yet. This high glucose reading made her decide to put me on it.

She also thought I should probably not be plateauing weight-wise as much as I am, and thought Metformin might help "jump start my metabolism" (her words) and help with weight loss.

I was a little worried about starting Metformin if I really didn't need it, but I've been doing some reading and it actually looks like it can help PREVENT diabetes along with everything else she said, so... hoping it's a good thing?

Ah hah. Just found this after a little more research. This makes sense! Hopefully once I get my Mag levels up the PTH will come up a little too. :)

Causes of Low PTH.

Acquired due to Hypomagnesemia.
The element magnesium is closely related to the action of calcium in the body. When magnesium levels are too low, calcium levels may also fall. It appears that magnesium is important for parathyroid cells to make PTH normally. Once recognized, this is usually very easy to fix."

If you have never been on metformin before, beware. For the first week or two you will always want to be near a loo. It's an explosive experience! I've been on it a few times pre DS. Started at 25 for PCOS and increased a year pre VSG due to onset of diabetes. Post VSG was taken off it it, but a year pre DS was put back on for PCOS again. Post DS they took me off of it as my A1C was hella low.

Good luck! Be vigilant with your protein as met reduced my appetite in the beginning.

I don't know much about the PTH issue, but what you posted about Mag makes perfect sense :)

Thanks. :) I'm definitely being vigilant with my protein (two-scoop protein shake once a day, 70-80g total daily, usually 80) despite the fact I have almost zero appetite as it is. I have head hunger where I crave certain things, but not actual physical hunger. I was definitely warned about the potential gastric hazards of starting Metformin, lol, and I watched hubby go through it a year ago. UGH. But I guess you gotta do what you gotta do! Hopefully it'll be beneficial. :) Hugs!

Thanks. :) I'm definitely being vigilant with my protein (two-scoop protein shake once a day, 70-80g total daily, usually 80) despite the fact I have almost zero appetite as it is. I have head hunger where I crave certain things, but not actual physical hunger. I was definitely warned about the potential gastric hazards of starting Metformin, lol, and I watched hubby go through it a year ago. UGH. But I guess you gotta do what you gotta do! Hopefully it'll be beneficial. :) Hugs!

OH! At met will make you more fertile! lol. Beware! Use doubled up protection. I know you want a baby, but enjoy a little bit more honeymoon :)

On the subject of metformin...yes, it can cause explosive situations (as a diabetic ON metformin since 2000 until 2011, I saw my share of questions about this). Best way to help is EAT YOGURT!!!

I would want to see the ACTUAL lab values and ranges of any of your labs. Maybe your endo can give you a copy? I know here in the USA, we are entitled by law to be given a copy of our lab work but I am not sure how that works elsewhere. But your GP or endo would probably give it to you if you ask nicely, LOL.

Reason I say this...while your B12 says "in range", being at the LOW end of IN RANGE for B12 is DANGEROUS to a persons nervous system and can cause permanent neurological damage!

I have a copy. I just didn't list actual for B12 because the results were unquestionably good. But I'll list them:

B12 410 (Normal is over 180)
Folate 31.9 (Normal is over 10)

Okay, good is relative. Normal B12 range using US measurements is 211 to 946. And the closer to 1000, the better. Mine routinely is over 2,000.

So if they are using a similar range, then 410 is just barely adequate. But without the range, it's hard to tell. For your lab, 410 MIGHT be at the top of the range. It's why we always need ranges.

They don't list a range for this that has an upper end like other things. That's why I said it just said over 180 is normal. Here's what they have for a "range" for this:

11047872_10100185836888240_430003970301817281_n.jpg

Okay...I see that. But maybe the ordering physician can find out what the range should be so you know where you land in it. Maybe not but it's worth an ask.

I see her again in 3 weeks. I'll ask her. My guess is the answer is that there's not an upper range because with B12 you just pee out any excess, but I'll ask! :)

Latest posts

Back