Fingernail Changes

I have worn it off and on my whole life with no problems. About three months ago I started trying the new 'gel' type that doesn't need a light (Revlon's Gel Envy) I used it for four weeks, then ran out of gas (time and patience). Maybe there was something in it that made it last a week, but didn't let my nails breath enough? Hadn't even considered that. The weird part of my nails is the top half so the growth matches the time I used it.
Hmmmmm....thank you @Sheanie. We'll see as they grow out.

What did you use to get the gel polish off? I did the UV gel once, for my wedding, but never went to "soak" the polish off, just ended up picking at it as it started to lift and RUINED my nails for a few months. The lifting is also what would happen when I got acrylics, and supposedly why I ended up with a fungus when water got underneath :(

Since this type of polish does not require the UV light, I just used a cotton ball and polish remover. Came off easily. Hadn't even started to chip much after a week so didn't have the urge to pick at it. :rolleyes:

I used to wear acrylics until a friend of mine got cancer. I wasn't allowed to visit her in the hospital with the acrylic nails. I was told by the medical staff to remove them and I couldn't go onto the cancer ward to see her until I did. The doctor told me that acrylic nails are a hotbed of germs and once applied can never be sanitized properly. I left the hospital, had them removed, and never put back on again. That was 6 years ago.

Now, I don't know if what the doctor told me was true about not being able to clean your hands properly, but that hospital's policy is that there are several areas of the hospital that you can't go into with acrylic nails.

@brooklyngirl and Diana I wear nails because I have short stubby fingers especially with my large rings. I have worn acrylic over my nails for 25 years. When my own nails grow out to about 2 inches I cut them off and start over again with a very short set. I'm hoping it was the affect of the sickness and won't happen again. My hair is also growing back and way thicker than before. My hair was always long just never thick. So we will see what happens in the next 6 months

Last edited:
Maybe I'm just getting old, but my fingernails are getting weird. Started with the pinky, but is now moving to the other nails. Upper half looks darker and kind of milky and looks as if they will eventually come off. Not thickened so I doubt it's a fungus. Here's a weak attempt at a picture. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Just had labs drawn, but don't have all the results. Ferretin is in mid 400s, but Iron Sat is low at 19. I have read that anemia can cause abnormalities in nails but not sure if that has anything to do with it. Should get rest of labs in soon and have appt for 2.5 year follow up on Thursday.
Again, maybe it's not a deficiency, and maybe it has nothing to do with my DS. Maybe I'm just getting old! :frown:
(Wasn't sure where to post this, so feel free to move it, Liz.)
My nails went yellow like a chain smoker nicotine stains from Metformin. So it could be medication related?? Are you taking biotin?

Latest posts

Back