Feeling bummed and a question to ask!

@southernlady she's 59. I wish someone could call her on the phone and explain everything to her about this website because I'm not getting anywhere with her getting her on here. She thinks everyone can see her typing and how slow she is. I've tried telling her that you guys don't care how slow she types that their main concern was getting her to open up and learn more about the DS on her own by reading. Who's up to talking to her over the phone? LOL!!

@southernlady she's 59. I wish someone could call her on the phone and explain everything to her about this website because I'm not getting anywhere with her getting her on here. She thinks everyone can see her typing and how slow she is. I've tried telling her that you guys don't care how slow she types that their main concern was getting her to open up and learn more about the DS on her own by reading. Who's up to talking to her over the phone? LOL!!
She's my age...I will be 60 in June. If you PM me, I'll give you my cell number.

She's confusing this format with a chat room. @Brandy Rediker , try explaining it to her this way: Posting on a message board is just like writing a letter, only you put it up on a bulletin board instead of sticking it in the mail. You write at your own pace and nobody !

One weird thing about it, when you're new to this format, is that you write one "letter" and get umpteen "letters" back in what seems like no time flat. Then, if you're thinking in that "letter writing" mindset, you start feeling like you have to write a response to everyone....And THEN you feel overwhelmed. But it's not that way. Everyone just goes back to the bulletin board at their own pace and reads the same response. You don't HAVE to write multiple responses if you don't want to or don't have the time.

Ok, I think I have a better understanding of your situation Brandy. Hope I didn't get too Inspector Clouseau on ya. It sounds like as soon as they have a handle on her blood pressure/ cardiac out put issues, they could add a dose of Lasix or even a loop sparing diuretic to knock that fluid out quickly. The problem with Cardizem and other calcium channel blockers is they can actually INCREASE dependant fluid build up in the feet. I'm sure they have a plan to stabilize her 1st, but do keep an eye on her feet and keep the docs posted. If the swelling gets too severe, she could be in congestive heart failure and in need of immediate admission for treatment. It does sound like she's made a decision none too soon to finally get the weight off! I do hope she over comes her shyness and gets on this board asap. best of luck always to both you and your beloved mom.

Thank you @Will2014 she goes back to the dr. next week. While swelling has been an issue for years now in her feet, the past 4 weeks has been pretty bad to the point she couldn't walk her feet hurt so bad from the swelling her toes would turn deep purple. The dr. took her off both medications so I think she's on the mend with that. On her last visit with the heart dr. he was talking if they can't get her AFib under control then he's thinking of placing a pacemaker in her. They way explained how they do that scares me far worse then having the DS surgery.

Is there a such thing as internet shyness? If so then mom def. has it!! LOL!

LOL, not sure about shyness but if someone is shy in person, it CAN transfer to online as well.

How well does she handle other technology? Smart phone? Online in general, such as searching for stuff? Email?

Many find forums overwhelming, part of it is the "confusing" software involved (altho this is one of the most user friendly), some just don't want much to do with the internet at all. Part of it is just putting oneself out and saying hi to strangers. Esp in an arena talking about medical issues.

Example, my mother in law (who is almost 75) is fine online hunting patterns for crocheting or knitting but she would NEVER think of getting on a forum and chatting...that just isn't her.

Using EN's explanation should help.

Thank you @Will2014 she goes back to the dr. next week. While swelling has been an issue for years now in her feet, the past 4 weeks has been pretty bad to the point she couldn't walk her feet hurt so bad from the swelling her toes would turn deep purple. The dr. took her off both medications so I think she's on the mend with that. On her last visit with the heart dr. he was talking if they can't get her AFib under control then he's thinking of placing a pacemaker in her. They way explained how they do that scares me far worse then having the DS surgery.

Has she had any luck with diuretics?

Pacemaker implantations are almost as routine as root canals nowadays :).

@Elizabeth N., lasix stopped working for her after being on for 10 yrs, they just switched her to bumetanide, they had to up the dosage 3 times to get it to work but that's what's helping to bring that fluid down right now. She started out at 1mg once a day to 2mg once a day now taking 4 mg twice a day. I've read that it's a very strong diuretic. It's how the Dr. explained to us how they install the device, they clip the main electrical box as he put it, once that's clipped your heart stops beating, the only thing that keeps it beating is the pacemaker. He told us if the Pacemaker stops working then the heart wont beat and mom dies...WOW!! I think my eyes bugged out of my head when he told us that.

@southernlady she refuses to buy a smartphone, she's comfortable with the flip phones. She's nervous when it comes to technology stuff like that. She's def. not into that kind of stuff, but her getting on here is like getting her to pull her own teeth. She says she will introduce herself so it's just the waiting game. :D

Brandy, do you have kids? I only ask because that is how my dad starting texting and FACETIME-ing! :D His girlfriend told him that if he didn't learn to text and use a computer, he would lose contact with his grandchildren! lol It worked! Granted, they are only 7 and 2 years old, but it lit a fire under him! He even has an iphone! OMG! ;)

Yeah, I have 3. Only problem with that is my parents live with me. I have a smartphone and I can't even get her on it. She's a mess, but I love her!! I have been able to get her to read the DSfacts.com she's been on there several times the past couple of days. I told her she needs to sit down and read, read, and read some more about this surgery. I told her her life depended on her learning everything she can about this surgery and the RNY. So I have got somewhere with her just not on here. GRRR!! My dad has even tried talking to her about meeting new friends how it would be good for her. She's a stubborn woman!! :)

Yeah, I have 3. Only problem with that is my parents live with me. I have a smartphone and I can't even get her on it. She's a mess, but I love her!! I have been able to get her to read the DSfacts.com she's been on there several times the past couple of days. I told her she needs to sit down and read, read, and read some more about this surgery. I told her her life depended on her learning everything she can about this surgery and the RNY. So I have got somewhere with her just not on here. GRRR!! My dad has even tried talking to her about meeting new friends how it would be good for her. She's a stubborn woman!! :)

Dear Brandy's Mom,

You've done a great job rearing a bright and caring daughter.

HOWEVER...you knew this was coming, right?....HOWEVER, since your weight loss surgery will be YOUR life saver it really is YOUR job to research it, read about it, ask questions about it, THOROUGHLY UNDERSTAND IT, and take ownership of it. (Just your surgery, not hers. Brandy's surgery is HER thing.)

I have a friend in her 30s whose son was recently diagnosed with Type I Diabetes. She has to take charge of knowing all about that disease because her son is still a kid. She keeps an eye on him and his diet...she has to figure out if he is acting like a fool because he's 13 or because his blood sugar is off. She has to do this because she's the mom.

But my husband had a heart attack 14 years ago when he was in his mid-40s. That is HIS problem. I am not his food police. I don't even know what meds he takes. My choice. I wanted HIM to own this problem and be in charge of himself. I just want to be his wife and nag about regular wife stuff.

If you can make the effort to join us, we can help you become very well-informed about weight loss surgery. And then while you and Brandy can share your experiences, you will each be in charge of your own obesity and its cure. (And there will be little or no bickering at home because neither of you will be trying to pressure the other to "do the right thing," as you might be tempted to do if you think the other person's health depends on your taking charge.)

I...and I am sure that others join me...look forward to meeting you right here!

Sue

Latest posts

Back