Fecal fats?

Well, it would clearly indicate the presence of steatorrhea or fatty stool. But unless you pre measured the exact amount of fat consumed,and then subtracted the exact amount of fat present in the stool, the test would not be able to show "the level of malabsorption" . But to just determine a fatty stool, a good rule of thumb is: if it floats it's fatty.

:stinky bathroom:

I don't think these tests are quantitative (more like Y or N), and as Will said, you'd have to know how much fat you ate, how much fat was in the sample and the total amount of POOP by weight.

Yes it will....I had fecal testing done to confirm my malabsorption. ..of course my albumin and total protein were about 50% as well so it was just another piece of the puzzle

As we like to say in my world, it may not be finitely accurate but directionally correct enough to lead your physician down the right path. I take 72-108,000 IU of creon per meal and 36k with snacks and then have labs drawn monthly. Your total protein and albumin numbers are going to tell you If you have severe malnutrition and if you need medicine to help..or just more ingested protein.

I use to do fecal fat testing. I think that show, "Worst Job Ever" should cover that one. Gagged me every time. I'm retired now.! :D

Yup...my instincts are rarely wrong!! I could tell from your very first post and I said to myself: Self..."Now here's a Lady that really knows her shit"...:D

So @DSRIGGS you take Creon to stop losing weight?
Charris I take Creon because in October I spent six days in the hospital for extremely low BP & heart rate due to severe malnutrition. My labs took a nose dive and my albumin and total protein were half of the minimum end of range. I was also very anemic but not due iron deficiency.

The Creon has definitely turned thingso around. I have gained weight, about 17 pounda since I was 170 and this morning 187. Honestly I don't care about the weight. I care about my health and feeling well.

Charris. I just read your post in the weigh in and it sounds like you are doing well. Easier said than done but don't worry about the weight. That should settle in and work itself out as you get leveled out.

Are you still on tpn and creon? Hopefully that situation is better. Best wishes to you.

@DSRIGGS no off of everything. Well it's good they caught your malnourishment early I was in hospital 6 weeks and a nursing home for 2 months. My BP was like 72/35 but heart rate through the roof at rest 150 with any movement like 180. Had than darn TPN almost 5 months but thank God cause I was on my way out of this place. Had it not been for the vets here getting dr. K involved and continually harassing my care takers ....... but I'm still here.,Thank God!

Latest posts

Back