everything tastes salty

katsmeow07

Hi all, I'm doing great, but I have a quick question....everything I eat tastes ultra salty all of a sudden, no matter if I put salt in or not. Has anyone had this? Oh and one more thing, my heart rate has slowed from my normal 80 to about 65 bpm. Has anyone had that happen as well?

Yes and yes. The highly sensitive taste will generally tone down after a while, but I found that my aversion to really sweet remained.

And by the way, not only is my heart rate slow, my blood pressure is very low as well - and the treatment for that? EAT MORE SALT! I love salt, so that's not a problem for me.

Yes, yes, yes.

I go through periods where everything tastes too salty and then everything tastes like it needs salt.

As for the blood pressure and pulse: it's on my Medic-Alert chart now b/c they always wonder about it when I've been in the ER. As a matter of fact, today I had my yearly visit w/my bariatric surgeon. Even his PA asked if it was normal for me to have such a low BP and pulse.

After my DS, I found the taste of Kirkland (Costco's brand) bottled water too metallic to drink. It had been just fine pre-op. Unfortunately the tap water where I live tastes awful all the time, but I switched to other brands and they tasted ok. After awhile the taste of the Kirkland water returned to normal.
People know all about the restriction and malabsorption of the DS, but sometimes we forget that it also creates profound metabolic changes. Your body needs time to adjust to these changes. Eventually your sense of taste will normalize, but it may be weird for awhile.

I'm wondering though, if my medication doses are going to be too high now. I thought they would be malabsorbed and I would end up needing more

Depends on the medication. We generally have issues with "extended release" meds and less trouble with those that aren't extended release. But I have seen some people needing dose adjustment, esp on meds for things like depression and bipolar, so do keep that in mind.
'

After 9 years, I can STILL taste some chemicals in packaged an prepared foods. Blech! I eat clean for the most part so it isn't something I have to deal with everyday.

I'm wondering though, if my medication doses are going to be too high now. I thought they would be malabsorbed and I would end up needing more
You are overthinking this. Please pay more attention to getting in a minimum of 64 oz. total of fluids before you go to bed.

FOCUS, my friend.

Latest posts

Back