DS'r new to this site in big trouble with vitamin neglect

EricW

Hello All:

My name is Eric W and I am a DS patient that was switched by Dr. John Rabkin in late August 2008. I am a 52 year old husband and father or two grown sons. I live in NE Washington State on Lake Roosevelt. I am coming to this site with the hopes of gaining knowledge, information, and support to help me save my life and get on track with a vitamin and nutrition regimin that I can learn and follow.

The bottom line is this. Since my procedure in 2008 I have not had a daily vitamin or protein intake or regimine. I went from 450 lbs pre-op to a low of 240 a year or so later (I'm 6' 1"). I have put 40 of that back on in the last two years but have held around 280 for over a year. I am fully aware of the commitment and obligation that came with my procedure and it was explained to me fully. I got a normal batch of vit's early on but had a lot of stomch discomfort trying to take them. With time I eventually quite trying and I never really got an understanding or really got my arms around the who vitamin thing and how it relates to the DS. I live in a town of 1500 or so with Spokane Washington being my closest major city. I have found no providers there that really even understand what the DS procedure is. I do see an endocinologist lately but I'm sure he doesnt fully understand as he writes me oil based D to take once weekly.

So, I am on a mission to get on top of my health and try to figure out this web of vitamin stuff and how it relates to my digestive system. My hope is that those of you with better knowledge and understanding will help me try to get to that place where I can be actively managing my own health. I am a quick learner and have a solid understanding in many other areas of life and business but I swear this vitamin management thing is like cryptonite to me.

I will have full labs done this week and will be scheduling to see Dr. Rabkin this month as well. I look forward to meeting and learning from any of you so inclined. I too have spent a lifetime of service to others though in this case I am probably a better example of what not to do at this point. I am glad to offer any help though I dont have much to offer on this topic at this time.

Thank you for taking time to read this, it is hard to openly admit such a catastrphic failure of such a wonderful gift (DS surgery)but I fear if I dont that I will not properly get my new direction started. Time for me to shine light on this and start driving the bus instead of just riding for free. Take care. Eric W

What's done is done. You're not dead yet, so presumably you can be salvaged :).

However, I would like to disagree with your characterization of you having had a free ride so far, as compared to driving the bus. In fact, what you have been doing is sitting in the back of the DRIVERLESS bus, careening down the hill, relying on blind luck to avoid crashing. Your weight regain is likely just the tip of the iceberg - you are going to have to prepare yourself for the possibility of worse news. Irreparable loss of bone mass; bad vitamin D3 and iron numbers which are going to be hard to get back up because you've let them go so far low; who know what damage to your kidneys; and the possibility that you are not going to be able to get back to as healthy as you could have been. At 52, it is much harder to play catch-up. And you won't know how bad it is until you get all the labs done and talk to Rabkin.

Or - maybe you skated. Maybe it's JUST the weight regain. But you won't know for a while. That's my point - you don't know. You don't want to be where you don't know because you stuck your head in the sand about your health.

Your assignment is to get back on track and get better. Not accepting the assignment is not an option.
images

Oh Eric, I know your problem well. I ended up in the hospital for 5 days and then on 30 days of IV nutrition (and I was taking some of the vitamins). Ignorance can kill you. Go to Vitalady.com and get her starter pacs...it's a good place to start as you begin to get educated. If the comments here scare you, then your recovery has begun.

Eric, welcome and thanks for your honesty. Please start supplementation right away as the others have said. I hope your lab results are favorable and am glad you are getting on track. I wish you all the best.

What's done is done and I am not one to judge, because I make plenty of poor choices myself, but as encouragement for compliance for others who may read this:

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! When a DS'er knowingly doesn't take care of his/her nutritional needs, not only is s/he choosing willfully to threaten his/her own health, s/he is choosing a course of action that potentially harms others. Noncompliant behavior impacts studies and the reputation of the DS, which fuels insurance objections and makes it even more challenging for future patients who NEED a DS to get one.

Thank you for the welcome and advice so far. I know that I bring with me the stigma of "oh great, here's another one" to those of you who have been diligent and dedicated to your health maintenance. I appreciate your being willing to look past that to offer me help. I will do my best to honor your efforts. My proof will be in results and not in online promises or statements.
I am hoping that my orders for labs will be sent today and that I will get labs drawn today or tomorrow. I have read that you do not want to supplement within 24 hours of lab draws. Is this true? I have begun assembling my vitamin supply and I have taken a few for a couple weeks but I now find they are the wrong ones and probably no good to me (oil D3, Calcium Carbonate, etc.). I did do the pill in water test on the ones I have just gotten to see if they dissolve quickly and they do. Is this relevant to absorption?
On another note. I am great at getting your lawn mower purring or getting that scratch out of your new paint, not so much on internet stuff though. I have been around various threads for a while but have not kept up lately. Is there a site in this forum that shows how to post pics, pdf's, insert links over selected words and stuff like that?
Thanks again for the kind (and firm) words of support. I know helping a stranger can be a shot in the dark but I do appreciate it. Have a great day. EW

One thing you could do AFTER you get a copy of your labs is post them here OR, if you so desire, go visit Vitalady herself in Puyallup, WA and get her to help.

Is there a site in this forum that shows how to post pics, pdf's, insert links over selected words and stuff like that?
Well, most of that has to be after your first 10 posts (avoids spammers that way).
For PDF's and photos: there is an Upload a File option on the right side of the text box you type your reply in and then hit post reply.
For links, there is a "chain" to the right of the A above the reply box (Starts with B, then I, then a U, etc). That brings up an overlay to paste a link into so it will show. You can also just paste it and it will create it's own link.

Yes, stop your supplements for 24 hours before the blood draw. I don't take my pills the entire day before a draw, do the fasting labs in the AM, and then take my usual morning dose.

Eric, it's good to see you here! Once we know your current labs, I think you'll get lots of good advice, but for now we are all still in the dark. Since you were informed that your D and PTH were bad already, I hope you have started with the dry D (you will probably need 100,000 daily or more to catch up) and calcium citrate. The rest we can be more helpful once we know your labs.
You have come to the right place.

Eric, get yourself lined up for a bone density test, too.

Works like this...if you don't have sufficient calcium roaming around your body, your parathyroid leaps into action to keep you alive. It "borrows" calcium from your teeth and bones. At that point your serum calcium may test as "normal," but only at a cost to your teeth and bones. You suddenly find yourself needing more dental work...AND...you move into osteopenia/osteoporosis.

To find out if you have embarked on this journey, do two things: #1-- get a bone density test; #2--measure your height again...you might not be 6'1" any more.

Sue

Welcome Eric! Kudos to you for being willing to admit your mistake. And since you are still breathing, you can most likely get back on track!

Latest posts

Back