DS Scheduled - Dr. K - Huntington Hospital - Hotel Ideas

Jen2016

Hi everyone! I know we've talked about hotels at Dr. K'S 2 hospitals, but now I know I'll be at Huntington.

1. Hotel name ideas for a 2 week stay? Want something decent, but not too expensive.

I remember someone mentioning airbnb, but I've never used it, and my husband would much prefer a hotel.

2. I think my husband can stay in the hospital with me the entire time, but from the vets - is it a good idea to have some alone time?

Thanks!
Jen

go to Huntington hospital website, there they have a list of local hotels and the discounts that they give patients

Hi everyone! I know we've talked about hotels at Dr. K'S 2 hospitals, but now I know I'll be at Huntington.

1. Hotel name ideas for a 2 week stay? Want something decent, but not too expensive.

I remember someone mentioning airbnb, but I've never used it, and my husband would much prefer a hotel.

2. I think my husband can stay in the hospital with me the entire time, but from the vets - is it a good idea to have some alone time?

Thanks!
Jen

I'm responding to hubby staying in hospital -- I was in hospital for 4 days and my wife stayed there with me. I liked having her there because it was someone to talk to, someone to walk with, someone to be sure I walked LOL, and of course I love her and it was comforting having her there while I was feeling like crap.

Everything in that area is very expensive but try the HI Express in Padena, not Arcadia which they sometimes refer to as Pasadena area but it will be 30-45 drive to Aradiation at least. hi express you might get for less than $175. I really like the downtown burbank area and springhill suites there because it is brand new and within 3 blocks of great downtown restaurants, movie theater and just a nice area. room will likely be $200 or more plus parking but call the front desk and ask them if they give discount to Huntington patients and also ask them to give best price with parking included. Call the hotel directly and make sure you are talking the local people and not corporate reservations.

Either of those places will be maybe ax15 minute drive. beds are comfortable and good breakfast especially Springhill. Both have hot tubs and pools if hubs wants a soak. the outdoor pool area is very nice with numerous tables with umbrellas. Book as early as you can because things fill up fast and rates gob really high

If breakfast or pool isn't an issue and hubs wants to at "home" you can save a lot of money and have full kitchen with big fridge and everything. I paid $99 a night and had a,small house. It save me at least $1,500 but I do prefer a hotel for breakfast and ease of finding and getting to/from.

Best wishes.

I'm responding to hubby staying in hospital -- I was in hospital for 4 days and my wife stayed there with me. I liked having her there because it was someone to talk to, someone to walk with, someone to be sure I walked LOL, and of course I love her and it was comforting having her there while I was feeling like crap.
If they have a bed for hubs that is certainly a good opton.

I stayed at the Westin in Pasadena near all the shops and restaurants. It was also an easy 15-minute drive to the hospital. As Scott mentioned, all of the hotels in the area are expensive and well over $200 per night plus tax and a daily fee for parking. I lucked out and found a deal through online for $169 per night for most of the stay. The Westin told me they did not give discounts for hospital patients. It would not hurt to ask as you begin your hotel search though. Some of the less expensive hotels seemed to be older, further from the hospital, and in somewhat sketchy areas. I decided it was worth the comfort and ease of travel to stay near the hospital. I had to be at the hospital at 5 am and knew I did not want to have a long drive back to the hotel after surgery.

On the other hand, getting to and from the LAX airport was horrible due to traffic. If I were to do it again, I might think about staying at a hotel near the airport even though it would be a long drive to the hospital and to Dr. K's office.

I stayed at the Westin in Pasadena near all the shops and restaurants. It was also an easy 15-minute drive to the hospital. As Scott mentioned, all of the hotels in the area are expensive and well over $200 per night plus tax and a daily fee for parking. I lucked out and found a deal through online for $169 per night for most of the stay. The Westin told me they did not give discounts for hospital patients. It would not hurt to ask as you begin your hotel search though. Some of the less expensive hotels seemed to be older, further from the hospital, and in somewhat sketchy areas. I decided it was worth the comfort and ease of travel to stay near the hospital. I had to be at the hospital at 5 am and knew I did not want to have a long drive back to the hotel after surgery.

On the other hand, getting to and from the LAX airport was horrible due to traffic. If I were to do it again, I might think about staying at a hotel near the airport even though it would be a long drive to the hospital and to Dr. K's office.
That drive from LAX to hospital would be horrible for whoever was with you. Now I have stayed the night at a LAX area hotel before an early morning flight.

i know you said your hubby was not to excited about Air BNB, but when I'm away for two weeks, I like having a kitchen and more space. Also, I know when I had my surgery, I could leave the hospital for a few hours. Did he look at VRBO and Airbnb or just was against it without looking?

Of course, his choice, but i know my dad was against AirBNB, but when he came out to take care of me after surgery, we found an airbnb 1/2 block away and it was less than a hotel and actually nicer.

Having lived in the Metro L.A. area nearly all my life, let me tell you that there is never a good or easy way to get to and from LAX. Scott's idea of staying near Dr. K's office and then potentially transferring to a hotel near the airport on the day before departure isn't a bad idea.

For those flying into L.A for surgery should also consider flying into Burbank airport if flights from your area fly into there. It's much closer to Dr. K than LAX.

Having lived in the Metro L.A. area nearly all my life, let me tell you that there is never a good or easy way to get to and from LAX. Scott's idea of staying near Dr. K's office and then potentially transferring to a hotel near the airport on the day before departure isn't a bad idea.

For those flying into L.A for surgery should also consider flying into Burbank airport if flights from your area fly into there. It's much closer to Dr. K than LAX.
I always looked at Burbank but flights were always at least $300 per ticket higher for me. No doubt it would have been easier but shockingly enough on this last trip our drive from the place in burbank to the car return was only 30 minutes....and that was 9 am.

BTW if renting a car check out SIXT. They are freaking awesome. I found them through hot wire the first time and we had a brand new, never before rented C class Mercedes for $18 a day. There were no surprise charges. This last time we could have got a Mercedes for $25 per day but went with a Chrysler 300 that was loaded for $21 a day only because I didn't know if a small Benz would be big enough for my brother. They are also super easy in and out as well and are right by all the other rental car places. stay away from payless/fox. Nightmare picking up car and their cars are older and lower end models....just not the value that SIXT is as far as car and ease.

BTW I really need a job once healthy and want to move to Socal. That being said I know I will need close to a $200k income for me as I know a small house in good neighborhood is going to be $750k at least..so if you have any ideas or connections, hook a DS brother up would ya please! :D

Thanks!
Jen

When is your surgery? I'm having mine on the 17th. I'm looking into two different airbnb's. seems like 2 weeks straight is hard to get them. Let me know, perhaps we can check on each other.

Best wishes!

One thing that I forgot to suggest is that if you can get a recliner at either an airBnB or a hotel that would be great because it isn't easy sleeping flat in a bed flat right away, especially if you have to go open for your surgery. That is another reason I recommend staying in the hospital as long as you can. One reason is for the hydration from iv fluids and secondly the adjustable hospital bed with side rails to help yourself get in an out.

BTW surgeons who are sending DS patients home after one night, well I think they are jackasses and doing harm to patients. just my two cents. I struggled very hard with hydration after my DS so I was very happy my Dr kept me 4 days plus Cameron had surgery the day of the last night i was ther and I knew if I went home that morning of hi's surgery that I wouldn't have been able to come back in...so he was just down tall about ten rooms from me. That was a huge relief. I ended up coming back in the next day when he released because his lung cavity filled with fluid/blood and he had to get a chest drain.That was a fun night....not .

Latest posts

Back