DS Patient Workbook Update

Vikki C.

I recently posted this on another DS forum, and thought I'd share it here as well:

Looking through the collection of documents for the DS patient at the Central Valley Bariatrics website (Dr. Ara Keshishian), I found that there is a newly updated version of the DS Patient Workbook. It's a fabulous resource and well worth reading, especially for an old vet DSer like me who may have forgotten some of the basics of post-DS eating and supplementation. I was particularly interested to see new guidelines stating that calcium and magnesium are antagonist with each and should be taken separately. I think this is important information because many calcium citrate supplements are sold as combination products with magnesium in the formulation. He also recommends taking heme iron over other forms. Here is the link to the new book:

http://www.dssurgery.com/program/downloads/duodenal-switch-patient-workbook.pdf

I had never read this before:

Calcium and magnesium are Antagonist with each other

I am going to have to rework my vitamin schedule again, damn it!

He also recommends taking heme iron over other forms
Heme iron is the easiest to tolerate but some don't tolerate any kind.

If you read thru the chart on vitamins, while Calcium and Mag need to be separate PILLS, they are scheduled even on his form as at the same time frame. He did not say at different times but NOT in the same pill.

He says several times not to take them together but his schedule has then being taken together. I think his schedule is a typo and may have been over-looked when they did the update. He seems very adamant at least 3 times that calcium and magnesium should NOT be taken together.

He says several times not to take them together but his schedule has then being taken together. I think his schedule is a typo and may have been over-looked when they did the update. He seems very adamant at least 3 times that calcium and magnesium should NOT be taken together.
That may be...I do take them as separate pills but at the same time. And both of mine are in fine shape.

Latest posts

Back