DS Newbie Questions

Hmmmmm...guess that would be my # 3 biggest fear. 2nd being not able to get the DS, # 1 would of course be going in for the DS and waking up with the ole bait and no-switch sleeverooie! Dying under surgery would be either 4th or 5th, depending on whom you ask.
Hmmmmm...guess that would be my # 3 biggest fear. 2nd being not able to get the DS, # 1 would of course be going in for the DS and waking up with the ole bait and no-switch sleeverooie! Dying under surgery would be either 4th or 5th, depending on whom you ask.

Seriously, that has happened to people? They think they are getting the DS, and wake up and are told they got another type of surgery? How on earth could the surgeon explain that bs?!?

Just said to husband yesterday, how would I know what they actually did in there, but, didn't really believe that was a possibility!

Oh yes. A bunch of SADI patients who thought they were getting a DS, and most recently a guy on here who was promised a DS, woke up with a completely bastardized ERNY - he self-paid with Dr. K (while appealing a denial by the insurance company) to get that mess fixed. A Gagner patient a couple of years ago. The usual excuses are "you were a mess inside, so I thought it was safest if I gave you something else other than what we agreed upon." And yet it doesn't happen with, say, the Rabkins and Keshishians of the DS world.

Seriously, that has happened to people? They think they are getting the DS, and wake up and are told they got another type of surgery? How on earth could the surgeon explain that bs?!?

Just said to husband yesterday, how would I know what they actually did in there, but, didn't really believe that was a possibility!

Sweetheart, I know time is a factor for everyone, but in your best interest you seriously need to go back and read some recent previous threads. Look at all my posts within the last month or so and you can read ALL about some of the BS crap out there regarding this, most of which I have seen recently and firsthand.
I have PAINFULLY seen FIVE Doctors in the Houston area, ALL of which claimed to be DS Surgeons 3 of the 5 tried to do what’s called the “Ole Bait and Switch”, or as these VETS call it…the “Bait and NO Switch” Their sales pitches have been exactly the same as if reading from a script. Yeah, I can do the DS on you, but, if I get in there and I see a fatty liver (which all fat people have) and I don’t have enough room, I might have to do the DS in two stages and then do the switch part after you lose another 40 or 50 lbs”
What happens then, you lose the 40 lbs, fall under the BMI requirements for Bariatric surgery and are just flat F&@*ed!, plus most insurance companies won’t pay for a 2nd bariatric surgery.
They tell you this just to get you in there, get your money for the VSG part of the surgery which only takes 45 mins or so as opposed to 3-4 hours for the DS which they don’t really do anyway. I WAS NOT JOKING when I said that is my biggest fear!

Sweetheart, I know time is a factor for everyone, but in your best interest you seriously need to go back and read some recent previous threads. Look at all my posts within the last month or so and you can read ALL about some of the BS crap out there regarding this, most of which I have seen recently and firsthand.
I have PAINFULLY seen FIVE Doctors in the Houston area, ALL of which claimed to be DS Surgeons 3 of the 5 tried to do what’s called the “Ole Bait and Switch”, or as these VETS call it…the “Bait and NO Switch” Their sales pitches have been exactly the same as if reading from a script. Yeah, I can do the DS on you, but, if I get in there and I see a fatty liver (which all fat people have) and I don’t have enough room, I might have to do the DS in two stages and then do the switch part after you lose another 40 or 50 lbs”
What happens then, you lose the 40 lbs, fall under the BMI requirements for Bariatric surgery and are just flat F&@*ed!, plus most insurance companies won’t pay for a 2nd bariatric surgery.
They tell you this just to get you in there, get your money for the VSG part of the surgery which only takes 45 mins or so as opposed to 3-4 hours for the DS which they don’t really do anyway. I WAS NOT JOKING when I said that is my biggest fear!

Unfortunately, even now that I'm aware of this, it does not sound like there is too much that can be done to guarantee I can get the DS other that what I already have done, which was to make an appointment with Dr. Ayoola. I plan on asking a lot of questions, and hopefully, will get solid answers. I was suspicious of the first surgeon because there were a lot of questions that did not get definite answers. There have been a lot of good reports on here about him, so am hoping for the best. My biggest fear is dying as this is being done to, hopefully, extend my life, or, failing that, live a more comfortable, less exhausted one.

Latest posts

Back