Dr. Steven Simper

kevin86

Can anyone give their opinions on Steven Simper? I'd like as much info as possible. How was he as a surgeon? How was his after care? How was his bedside manner? Any special requirements? Any other info? Would you recommend him? I am looking into Ayoola in Dallas but have a feeling I may not be able to afford to travel that far. I wanted a backup plan in place just in case. Simper is only 6 hours away vs almost 15 hours to Ayoola.

Search for Simper on here you will find a lot of information. He is a great surgeon. His after care is the usual for most surgeons, bad. His bedside manner is about non-existent. I would still recommend him as a surgeon. I have always used my PCP for my post DS needs.

Thank you @newanatomy. That's what I'm thinking I may have to do is work with my pcp for aftercare. It works be great for him to be great in all fields but ultimately the most important thing is that he's a great surgeon.

Thank you @newanatomy. That's what I'm thinking I may have to do is work with my pcp for aftercare. It works be great for him to be great in all fields but ultimately the most important thing is that he's a great surgeon.

Yes. His office can be frustrating. Just jump through the hoops. Know your own insurance before you begin with them. They treat all patients the same, as if they have all the same insurance requirements. They give poor nutritional advice, just nod and then follow what you learn here. You will do fine. The surgeon is the most important part.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the advice @newanatomy . I have no idea what I would do without everyone here. Probably make myself even more of a nervous wreck. Lol

Kevin, honestly after the surgery is over and your are past the initial recovery, unless something went wrong from the surgery you honestly never need to see your DS surgeon again. My PCP orders all my labs and DS aftercare is simply "normal care" that a GP would handle, so don't let that be a concern.

If you need to see your DS surgeon after a few months, that typically isn't a good sign because chances are that means you need more surgery. :D

Discuss pain relief up front. I believe he is very hesitant about prescribing pain meds. Make sure you are OK with what he is willing to give you.

Discuss pain relief up front. I believe he is very hesitant about prescribing pain meds. Make sure you are OK with what he is willing to give you.
Yeah that's one of my big concerns. My body metabolizes some pain meds much quicker than normal. When I had my toe operated on a few other times they had to give me over 4x the normal dosage of lidocaine and even after that were considering putting me under because my body metabolized it so fast it wouldn't go numb. Obviously every pain med is different but it means that it could be a problem.

Had Simper for my RNY to DS. Great surgeon, but weak on the nutritional aftercare stuff. It's pretty much like that everywhere though, so no points off in my eyes for that. I didn't choose him for supplement advice. Chose him because he has the surgical skills I needed. I liked his bedside manner and his approach to obesity in general.

As for post-op pain, I had zero complaints with Simper there. PCA morphine pump first day out, then I was switched to liquid Lortab and Toradol (sp?) injections. The injections were the bomb and really all I needed to feel pain free. Talk with him about it.

Latest posts

Back