Dr. Margaret Inman, St. Vincent Bariatric Center, Carmel, IN

GirlFriday

Enjoying the journey
First, let me explain that my initial experience with Dr. Inman was not positive. My uncle had the DS eight years ago and ended up in a coma for 59 days following surgery. Dr. Inman was not responsive to our family or answering questions that we wanted answered. She was not what one would call, "warm and fuzzy". We discovered eight days into the coma that he had elevated nicotine levels in his system and basically he lied about quitting smoking and this caused a problem with the anesthesia which caused all sorts of other problems.

Fast forward seven and a half years. I am sitting in my PCP's office being told that my A1C levels were those of a diabetic and I had a myriad of heath problems. He asked that I go talk to someone at the Bariatric Center. So, I called and made an appointment and went to a seminar. There I met Dr. Inman for the second time. Still not warm and fuzzy. She was (and still is) all about the science. I was kind of uncomfortable until her PA took over answering the questions because Dr. Inman had to go do an emergency surgery on a patient that had a botched surgery at another hospital. That gave me confidence. That gave me a lot of confidence in her. So when I met one on one with Kami (the PA) I asked about Dr. Inman's bedside manner and I was told that her staff is there to meet the emotional needs of her patients - and they do a nice job.

I passed all of my standard tests and went to my pre-op class. This is what I liked about the pre-op class. The sleevers and the RNY'ers were in a separate class from us. We (the DS'ers) were brought in at the end of their class for the "What is going to happen on the day of surgery" talk - which was given by a nurse on the Bariatric ICU and was very thorough and very helpful. Then the Sleevers and RNY'ers were dismissed, and the DS nutrionist (that is right, there are three NUT that specialize in DS patients) came in to talk to us about life after surgery. She went over all of the nutrional guidelines for DS'ers. We were never compared to the others, it was never called a "pouch" (it was called a Tiny Stomach or TS for short). All of the supplement samples and boards that showed supplements for the RNY'ers and Sleevers were put away, and she brought out boards for the DS and showed us food and supplements for the DS'ers. I felt like everything was directed specifically to us.

My surgery was on April 22, 2015. The surgery went well. I had some complications after surgery with my blood pressure (it is usually high, but after surgery it decided to be as low as possible) and I had to stay an extra night in the hospital. The staff at the hospital in the Bariatric ICU was wonderful. There are some amazing people on that floor. I appreciated the fact that the entire unit was nothing but Bariatric patients, so if I farted while walking the halls no one batted an eye.

All in all, I have to tell you that I would recommend Dr. Inman and her staff for surgery if you are in Indiana. They have been wonderful to me. You could not find yourself in better hands than those of Dr. Inman.

It is my understanding from talking to past patients that the DS Bariatric Program at St. Vincent has completely evolved in terms of patient education and nutrition. They are singling out the DS'ers and tailoring a program to them and their needs. I feel very fortunate to have gotten my surgery there.

It would be nice if every program was like that. For me, Ds'ers were not separated out and I would love to have a NUT who specialized in DS nutrition.

@GirlFriday well it's great you gave her a second chance. She couldn't have done nothing to me after the first encounter. At the end of the day you needed her to be competent in performing surgery not making friends with you. Not every surgeon has been blessed as my surgeon, Dr. K. They all can't be as well rounded as him. Well maybe I'm biased. Lol well glad everything went well.

I have an appointment with her on September 17th. I am going in as a revision from LB to DS. I've had my band for 10 years. I tried having surgery with a doctor in Seymour (he SADI) and let's say things just didn't work out. My GP told me "maybe you were supposed to go to Dr. Inman all along". Maybe, indeed. I was told she only did open surgery on people with a BMI over 50. Mine is 56.9, but I am not build like many obese folks. I don't have huge amounts of belly fat, I mean, it's there, but not terrible. I'm kind of fat all over. Just wondering about that. I'm pretty excited. Open or not, I'm doing this.

Yvonne

Yvonne, my BMI was 56.9 and my DS was done with the DaVinci. On August 12th, Dr Inman performed a DS with the DaVinci on a friend of mine and her BMI was 72.

I hit the wrong button and posted too soon.
So - the BMI thing isn't true. She does laproscopic DS's on BMIs over 50.
Dr. Inman is a very talented surgeon and you will be in good hands with her. The staff at the Bariatric ICU (where you will go after surgery), is very caring and knowledgable. They took excellent care of me.

As far as the Bariatric Center(where the nutritionists and nurses are), they have some excellent programs like exersize and cooking classes and support groups and stuff like that. They also have three nutrionists that specialize in the DS. That being said, those nutritionists don't give the best advice.

You are better off learning about the nutrional and vitamin needs from the veterans here (read all the threads and learn all you can and ask questions). The nutrionists it's aren't bad people, they are just not educated enough about the DS. I have been treated very kind by the staff, but for the nutrion part, I let it go in one ear and out the other.

I hope you find what you need and are very successful. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Last edited:
I was going to ask, approximately how long does it take to get scheduled after approval? I ask because I'm on a time crunch in that I need it before the end of the year. I'm in the process of writing a long post in revisions, but I've been jerked around now since last November. All my stuff is done - psych, NUT appts (yes, I know they know nothing and will rely on you guys for help), and I've met my $8000 deductible now and am in fact almost at my stop loss of $12,000 for all the stuff I've done this year alone. I can't afford to do this again next year. I'm also in school and about done (looking towards graduate school next Fall). I've talked to my professors and they are AMAZING and will work with me no matter what my situation as they want me graduated and on to graduate school. I'm an old lady, I need to get done with school already. LOL Please go and check out that thread later tonight or tomorrow. I mean, I have NO problem waiting for an opening and I saw where you said they were getting more DS doctors (wonder what their experience levels will be?) in July. Thanks again!

Yvonne

I was going to ask, approximately how long does it take to get scheduled after approval? I ask because I'm on a time crunch in that I need it before the end of the year. I'm in the process of writing a long post in revisions, but I've been jerked around now since last November. All my stuff is done - psych, NUT appts (yes, I know they know nothing and will rely on you guys for help), and I've met my $8000 deductible now and am in fact almost at my stop loss of $12,000 for all the stuff I've done this year alone. I can't afford to do this again next year. I'm also in school and about done (looking towards graduate school next Fall). I've talked to my professors and they are AMAZING and will work with me no matter what my situation as they want me graduated and on to graduate school. I'm an old lady, I need to get done with school already. LOL Please go and check out that thread later tonight or tomorrow. I mean, I have NO problem waiting for an opening and I saw where you said they were getting more DS doctors (wonder what their experience levels will be?) in July. Thanks again!

Yvonne
Based on my experience and the experience of my friends and family, once you pass your pre-op tests, they schedule you within 45 days.

Hi Yvonne -

After my tests came back good, I was scheduled to have the surgery 35 days from the day the tests came back. Then I decided not to have a sleeve and have the DS instead so that pushed it back another week.

Latest posts

Back