Don't read this at bedtime...

Spiky Bugger

The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump: 27 Psychiatrists and Mental Health Experts Assess a President

And, we had pre-ordered but the price was discounted, so we paid <$17 instead of $25+. So...cool.

If you enjoyed Psych classes, you will find this collection of essays fascinating...as well as the underlying in-house debate between the "Goldwater Rule" folks v the "Duty to Warn" folks.

I have some fancy piece of paper here that says I at least tried to learn stuff that can be gathered under the title of "Human Development," which is tangentally related to things like "Child Development," except that is starts pre-conception and goes to death. Reading these essays, I have learned (and/or revisited) things about development that so clearly explain why Trump is the way he is, and why that is dangerous to us...to the planet.

From the essay by Lance Dodes, MD, who has been on the Duty to Warn side of the debate:

"In early development, everything is happening at once. Major emotional capacities are developing alongside major cognitive capacities. Children must develop ways to manage emotional distress: anxiety, confusion, disappointment, loss, fear, all while they are growing in their capacity to think, and sorting out what is real and what is their imagination. We all develop systems to do this, to tolerate and control our emotions, understand and empathize with the people around us, and tell the diferences between reality and wishes or fears.

"But not people with the early, primitive [earlier defined as "ancient personal times"] emotional problems seen in sociopathy. They do not tolerate disappointments; instead, they fly into rages and claim that the upsetting reality isn't real. They make up an alternative reality and insist that it is true. This is the definition of a delusion. When it is told to others, it is basically a lie. ... Later, when they are less stressed, they explain their loss of reality with rationalization or simply more lies."

And..."...It is notable that people with sociopathic traits have been found to have abnormalities in the prefrontal cortex and the amygdala regions of their brains, areas closely associated with essential cognitive and emotional functions."

Tony Schwartz, the actual author of The Art of the Deal, wrote, "...In neurochemical terms, when he feels threatened or thwarted, Trump moves into a fight-or-flight state. His amygdala is triggered, his hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis activates, and his prefrontal cortex--the part of the brain that makes us capable of rationality and reflection--shuts down. He reacts rather than reflects, and damn the consequences. This is what makes his access to the nuclear codes so dangerous and frightening."

Not sleep-inducing reading at bedtime.

Last edited:
Yeah...this morning, a seven-year-old of my acquaintance asked, "I did half my spelling words. Can I dance to a dance video now?"

I responded, "Well, sure, but you would be using time that we COULD use to read Captain Underpants."

Little Donnie--and now, Big Donnie--would throw a fit.

My little friend said, "Next word! Hurry!"

So he is not as emotionally capable of not getting everything he wants as a relatively average seven-year-old.

We are doomed.

Tony Schwartz, the actual author of The Art of the Deal, wrote, "...In neurochemical terms, when he feels threatened or thwarted, Trump moves into a fight-or-flight state. His amygdala is triggered, his hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis activates, and his prefrontal cortex--the part of the brain that makes us capable of rationality and reflection--shuts down. He reacts rather than reflects, and damn the consequences. This is what makes his access to the nuclear codes so dangerous and frightening.".

This perfectly describes my 11 year old kid with autism and ADHD. Maybe the president is a bit asperger-ish?

This perfectly describes my 11 year old kid with autism and ADHD. Maybe the president is a bit asperger-ish?

Not to downplay the difficulties of living on the spectrum, but...I kinda think that Trump should be so lucky.

There are people who "act crazy," but are covering up underlying rational thoughts. Trump can "act sane," but is covering up underlying delusional thoughts. Because he is delusional.

For example, the Inauguration day crowds and the thousands of cheering Muslims celebrating 9/11.
~First, those are documentable falsehoods...just lies.
~But what makes them crazy is that generally, people lie for a reason...to deny having done something bad, to claim they did something right, to get something they want, that kind of thing. Not ideal behavior, but common and rational. ~Trump's lies actually HURT him. His 30% is sticking with him, no matter what. So he doesn't need to entice them. His rational political lies SHOULD be designed to grow his fan base. But, no...he tells lies that anyone can see are not true...and that makes people who are on the fence about him decide that he's either a liar or nuts. (Or even both...because, as one shrink mentioned, a dog can have both fleas AND ticks.)
~He tells, and sticks to, lies that that do him no good at all. And that is one reason why the concensus is that he's crazy. (Like...if your neighbor INSISTS he has painted your car purple. And sticks to that, even though we can all see that it's false and that his insisting on that version of reality just pisses off everyone who listens.)

I remember reading somewhere that one should always tell the truth because it's easier to remember than lies. Since he seems to be capable of remembering his lies, it seems that to him he is telling the truth. Beyond scary.

If he started telling the truth, he'd lose his base AND still be bat-shit crazy enough to not gain any new fans. He's holding onto and riling up his ammosexual base to scare normal people into thinking twice or three times about impeaching him, for fear of losing their phony-baloney jobs (GOP politicians) and facing a possible lunatic armed insurrection.

Latest posts

Back