Distraught

DianaCox

Bad Cop
I didn't want to post this before BuffaloBillsfan went off to see Rabkin, since she was already upset - but my cat Loki got out in the wee hours of Sunday morning (sometime between 3-8 AM), and we haven't found him since. (Cathy found Loki and Mimi for us at the animal shelter 2.5 years ago.) We have six doors to our house, only one of which opens OUT, and that is the almost-never-used French doors from the living room to the interior courtyard. My son was going in and out Saturday evening through the door for a smoke while the hockey game was on. The door has a tight fit, and apparently the latch didn't engage the last time he closed it. Charles checks all the OTHER doors at night before going to bed, but not this one, as it is almost never used.

We found Mimi in the backyard in the morning, looking lost (they do NOT go outside), but Loki was nowhere to be found. He apparently jumped the 6' fence and took off.

I have posted lost cat notices on NextDoor, our block's Yahoo group (and it was shared with the list on the next block over), CraigsList, posted it to LostMyDoggie.com, which notifies local animal hospitals and the shelter, and I made a Lost Cat poster, got copies made, taped them into plastic sleeves and posted them around the neighborhood, including in the Starbucks and neighborhood grocery store. I called the elementary school that is just a hundred yards from the house, and the animal hospital. I'm about to go out and look some more.

Loki is a friendly cat, who likes the only (SMALL) dog he knows, and has no knowledge of cars - our house backs up to a house with a large unfriendly dog, and we are one block south of a fairly busy street - if he got over the fence and was scared by the dog and ran out the other way ... I didn't see any bodies in the street yesterday, but I'm about to go out again.

It was VERY cold here last night - in the 30s. Loki's belly is shaved. He has no collar, though he is chipped. I am just sick about this.

And at the same - it could have been our toddler granddaughter who escaped the house unnoticed and got to the pool (there is a gate, but it's not always closed either), so - better Loki than her. But I'm beside myself with worry.

I'm so sorry...I'd be distraught too.
When we moved into our house, I let Cat out into the backyard to do his business and I stayed out with him because I knew he wasn't familiar with the area yet. It was quite dark and I lost sight of him. I went back into the house to get a flashlight and went back and looked but I couldn't find him anywhere. He had to have either jumped the fence when I went inside or found a way under the fence. We looked and looked for him. Days went by...then a week. I was pretty sure he had tried to find his way back to our old house and I just knew he was dead.
About 2.5 weeks later, I heard a meow at the front door. There he was!
I was shocked! He's never run away since.

So maybe Loki is just out exploring and will find his way home! They have excellent senses of direction and he can find his way home. I'm sure of it.

I hope he turns up happy and healthy very soon. I am so sorry for the worry he is causing you.

Last edited:
Oh no! Does he come when called? Have you gone for a walk in the neighborhood calling him? Put some treats or food out too.

Back in the 70's I had a siamese named Peaches. She went missing for more than a week. One day I walked over to the local market and there she was, screaming for me from on top of a neighbor's fence. Then there was Podo. Podo disappeared not long after we moved to our house in SLC. He was missing for more than a year! Someone finally read his collar and called me just a few weeks before we were moving to MN.

Don't give up!

I've walked and walked, shaking the treat container, calling him (he DOES come when called in the house, but I'm sure he's in terror mode right now). I'm not giving up, but I am so scared for him.

Oh, hoping Loki finds his way back, or you find him! We have three of our own, and though I harbor thoughts of cat-cide occasionally.. they are smart creatures, hoping his belly gets his attention soon!

oh, no. cats are SO prone to hide when scared the chances are good he is somewhere nearby and not responding when you call.

this is terrible, the most my dogs have been lost was several hours but I know you spend the whole time imagining the worse.

hope to hear good news soon.

I am so sorry Diana. Our pets are just like our kids. At least I have found that to be true the older I get. I hope you find Loki safe and sound very soon!

Not sure it would help, or be feasible.. but when Lil' Britches (she's got stubby legs) got out, we left the screen door bottom open, enough for a cat to jump through. It was raining, she was a prior stray queen we adopted.. and she showed up around midnight after being on the lamb for a day & a half (VERY shortly after we forced her to be an indoor kitty.) She didn't respond to any calls, or show up otherwise.. but she saw the IN and took it.. and has NEVER bolted since! Maybe leave that door open a crack with the other kitties excluded for the evening in another closed off room?

Oh no! You must be worried sick :frown:

Indoor cats usually don't go far, and are inclined to hide.

Go for an evening walk looking for Loki, and take a flashlight. A broad beam flashlight is best, and look for his eye-shine when calling him in the dark. I wouldn't count on him to come out.

If you haven't found him soon, get a humane trap. The last one I bought was about $65 at the farm store, but they are less if you have a harbor freight tools, or ask if animal control has one you can borrow. Rescue groups often have ones you can use for free with a deposit. Put the stinkiest food in it, and leave it in the courtyard, or somewhere he might lurk at night that you are not guaranteed to get the neighbors cat.

I have caught literally over 100 cats/kittens, and wish I were close enough to help.

Diana I am so sorry. I have lost cats in the past, especially Cat Two, but he found his way home each time. He, too, was an indoor cat. I lived in downtown Philadelphia at the time. I'd search forhim and worried myself sick. He did eventually come home. Here's hoping Loki is smart and returns soon.

I keep checking, hoping for news.

good suggestions from Jo and Bearmom...I would just add don't forget to LISTEN when out looking for him, he may not come to you but he might answer and it might be hard to hear.

Latest posts

Back