Different Carb Sources and Intestinal Distress

Clematis

@DianaCox suggested something in another thread about how some carbs may cause more foul gas and stools than others. She mentioned wheat and rice as having particularly noxious results. Those are grains. Are the gastric effects of starchy vegetables like potatoes, yams, winter squash, less objectionable? And where in the poo-tinky spectrum do simple sugars like candy and chocolate fall?

(And, yes, I know, carbs are not my friend. I'm just on the pre-op Atkins-like diet so of course all I can think about are carbs.)

Potatoes and the like have no negative impact on me. Apples bother me, spinach, lettuce, pasta or flour based soups/sauce if have too much. Desserts have no bad consequences either.

YMMV

Each person is different. Rice doesn't affect my gut. I just know it is a starch that I have very little control over eating so I avoid that by not making it. Homemade bread, regardless of the type of lour doesn't affect me but too much store bought and I am miserable. Something to do with the preservatives used in store bought to make it shelf stable.

Apples, peaches, berries don't upset me but figs and other fruits do. Actually it's just been a crap shoot finding out which do and which don't.

Cruciferous vegetables don't bother me but they will bother others.

I eat a piece of fruit each night. No issues. Chocolate, ice cream, candy , etc...only alone in my apartment as there's a lot of bathroom action and gas going on.:eek:

Last edited:
It is so interesting how different foods affect us all differently. When I have trouble with a food it isn't really gas (no big deal to me - I can live with it and I go in the bathroom or try to stay away from others when getting rid of it) it is immediate in that I feel like I am going to get sick if I eat anymore.

You can eat carbs without foul gas?
Your Shit is going to stink no matter what you eat, but everybody's shit stinks. It will be worse but that is what vent fans and febreeze is for. As I have mentioned in the guy who got fired for farting post, if you have the slightest bit if couth then smelly flatulence is not a big deal as that should be a private event anyway.

And to be honest I dont really notice anything that makes my crap smell worse than any other food. Also like Munchkin most food doesn't bother me. Some greens and such can give loose stools but by and large I eat anything I want.... And I eat a lot of carbs.... Over 250 grams daily..again I am a special case right now but I had this surgery to live and eating is a part of it. If carbs start affecting me more than I shall adjust... Exercise and moderation... Just like a Normie.

You are going to be well Dear, and it is good that you are so inquisitive.

Latest posts

Back