Couple of Questions: Pain Meds and Labs

TakeIII

Hi All,

I had my revision from lap-band to DS (lap) on the 29th of October. I traveled from Denver to Salt Lake for the surgery. My staples and drains were removed on the third day (only because I begged them not to take them out on the 2nd day) and replaced with steri strips. I was in the hospital for 4 days. I was discharged with 4 days of pain meds (percocet/20 pills, once every 4 hours as needed). I traveled home(by plane) the following day. I have one incision that is approx. 3 inches long. I believe this is where my band was removed.

The day after I got home I split this incision wide open and it bled significantly. I called the surgeons office and they told me to replace the steri strips, go to my pcp, or an emergency room. I went to my pcp and she wouldn't touch it.....she referred me to a general surgeon. By placing a significant amount of pressure on my abdomen and inserting his finger inside my incision approximately another 1/4 cup of old blood (or as he referred to it "grape jelly") from the incision. He assures me this is not new bleeding and I do trust what he is saying. At this point the incision is still open and he could not stitch/staple/etc. this far out. It is still oozing old blood, but at slow rate. There is no foul smell, redness, etc. It does appear to be healing.

Here's my question (sorry it took me so long to get there but I thought some back story would be helpful).....When I called my DS surgeon I also asked if he would prescribe me more pain meds. I was told that he would not do this. Now I do know that there are some laws that prevent doing so over the phone (or so I've been told), however I requested that he speak with my pcp and recommend to her that prescribing more would be acceptable. It's not going to happen. Am I being a baby? Should I have been able to wean myself off this early out? I have some left over pills from a prior procedure that I have been using, but those are nearly gone. I'm still in significant pain and not sure how I will be functional on Tylenol alone.

Secondly, my DS surgeon said that they will do labs in a year. I've read repeatedly that I should monitor at 3 months, worst case 6 months. I know I have awhile to go before I need to be concerned about this, but how do I go about getting these if the surgeon doesn't order them?

Thank you!

You are NOT being a baby. Talk to your PCP about help with pain management.

Who is your surgeon? No labs for a YEAR?! I don't THINK SO. Your PCP can order the labs and we can help you adjust your supplements according to the results.

AND if your PCP wants to be a butt about pain meds, go to the ER...you have a right to pain control.

Who is your surgeon? No labs for a YEAR?! I don't THINK SO. Your PCP can order the labs and we can help you adjust your supplements according to the results.
Her surgeon is Simper.

EN is right, and if you need a lab slip, we have a couple linked here: http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/generic-ds-lab-order.191/ and we can help you get them adjusted.
I had mine done at 3 months, 6 months, and then my year mark. AND I have them done twice a year even now.

Elisabeth and Southern Lady,

Thank you both for your input. I'm going back to see the general surgeon tomorrow to recheck the incision that I split open. I will ask him if will prescribe pain meds for me. If not, I will talk to my PCP. She is ULTRA conservative and had absolutely no idea what the DS was. I know she will want to consult with Dr. Simper before doing anything.

Could you give me a general ball park when someone should be able to be off all prescription pain meds (given there are no complications)? I swear they make you feel like a crack whore for just asking for more sometimes. I know I'm over exaggerating, but it does feel very uncomfortable.

Tina

Elisabeth and Southern Lady,

Thank you both for your input. I'm going back to see the general surgeon tomorrow to recheck the incision that I split open. I will ask him if will prescribe pain meds for me. If not, I will talk to my PCP. She is ULTRA conservative and had absolutely no idea what the DS was. I know she will want to consult with Dr. Simper before doing anything.

Could you give me a general ball park when someone should be able to be off all prescription pain meds (given there are no complications)? I swear they make you feel like a crack whore for just asking for more sometimes. I know I'm over exaggerating, but it does feel very uncomfortable.

Tina
EACH person is different.

I have a high tolerance for pain so what works for me, would not work for others. And yes, they make you feel like an addict to ask for extra. Back when I had my first jaw surgery, I actually went thru two prescriptions before I was able to function without pain meds or to just take an OTC one. But EVEN OTC is not a good option so fresh out of surgery and while tylenol might work for someone who had any other surgery, it is NOT a good option for someone who just had their guts rearranged.

You got more pain meds than I did, Dr. Simper sent me home with 10 of the lowest available dose Percocet. In other words, two days of pain medicine. It is ridiculous. I fought hard for those ten little pills. He likes to send you home with nothing! Recommends Tylenol. What a deal!

That is how it is now. Too many people who are addicted to pain meds have ruined it for those of us who are not. I think he is out of line in regards to his dispensing of medicines. He is only a good cutter, everything else is horrible!

If you need more pain medicine, go to the emergency room or to your PCP.

As far as labs go, I had my PCP order them for me. I follow the vitalady plan for supplements. I will never contact Dr. Simper's office again unless my stomach or intestines burst out of my body.

Oh hell no you are not being a baby! Like Liz said everyone tolerates pain differently. I had some incision problems also. I took pain meds for about 6 weeks but only when I needed them. Some days where better that others but always needed them at night to make sleeping possible. push your PCP. You are going to have to print some info about the DS to educate her on labs and vitamins. I printed a picture of how things are reconfigured and took it along with me. There are some good articles on here and other sites. Take this letter with you that Diana Cox made (http://www.dsfacts.com/conversation-with-your-pcp.php). Fill it in with your info. Make him/her read it while you set there. It does help. Good luck!

I think Dr. Simper needs to have a good sized abdominal operation. Asshole.

I was on pain meds by the clock for a good week to ten days, then was able to start stretching it out more. I was off those pain med entirely in a little over two weeks. (But I had a HUGE open incision, something like 16 inches long.) I was already on Fentanyl patches for pain before I had surgery, so my additional pain meds would not compare to what someone with no concurrent narcotic use would need.

It's also possible that other types of pain medicine could do just fine for you. Some people get surprisingly good results with adult strength liquid Tylenol, for example. Others do well with a prescription called Tra.madol.

And start looking for a new pcp.

I am one who, post-op, cannot take NSAIDS...so it's just Vicodin and me. And who knows how much gets absorbed!?

So my doctors now write me Rxs for 10 mg Vicodin, up to 4 per day as needed for my various aches and pains. I never use them all, which is good. But I have various old lady arthritis sites (knees, hips, SI joint, and wrists, that act up independently or in unison) plus a horrendous bladder thing and I do take SOME almost every day...more in winter than summer because of the arthritis.

But, you know, I don't have the time or the inclination to dick around with some asshole who is more concerned with covering his/her ass than relieving my pain. Doctors can be replaced.

Get yourself to the ER and complain loud and long about pain from your gaping incision. Scream when they touch it. Otherwise, act like a normal person. Others have ruined it for the rest with pain meds. My dentist husband used to get phone calls every weekend complaining of "toothaches". Dentists are the biggest source of pain meds, it seems. We stopped calling them in for patients we haven't seen in a year. DH will go in the office and do an extraction at any time, any day. But no pain pills without being seen.

You are NOT a baby. You NEED pain meds. Find someone who will give them to you.

And, your surgeon is a grade A Ass.

I've been on Percocet for almost 2 years due to rotator cuff surgery shortly followed by a herniated disc. I was recently drug tested by one of my doctors for two reasons ( I was told) #1 - be sure I actually had some in my system and I wasn't selling them and #2 - be sure I wasn't taking too many of them. Sucks being treated like a junkie but at least they keep giving them to me. I'm hoping once I start losing weight my back will improve, fingers crossed :)

@chevtow , we used to drug test our clients who were on Pretrial Release when I worked at the Courthouse for those same reasons. Therapeutic level, confirming information. It's all supposed to be confidential, but we all know nothing is confidential.

I hope that your back pain gets better with DS. Isn't your date coming up soon?

Btw...if you ever have an elderly loved one...or non-elderly for that matter...who is in pain and in a nursing home or rehab or hospice... and that person complains of pain...DO NOT BE AFRAID TO DEMAND DRUG TESTING for your loved one. If your loved one's pain meds were to go home with a staff member, it would not be the first time that ever happened.

In fact, I think they are available online and just do it yourself.

@Sheanie , yes my surgery is 10:30 tomorrow morning!! Thankfully the big snowstorm stayed mostly north of us so our 2 hr drive won't be too bad in the morning. I'll be sure to post when I'm able :)

Latest posts

Back