Cortisone shot to hip

CaraOC

Credentialed Bitch
I need to have a cortisone shot in my arthritic hip this week. Not expecting it to be pleasant but wondered how much more unpleasant or difficult it might be in an obese patient. I'm over doctors and needles for right now!! Please share hints, tips or experiences.

I've had cortisone shots in my shoulders and ganglion cysts on my instep. They put xylocaine or something in them so they don't hurt for long. My hint - don't look, and use Lamaze breathing. And squeeze something hard.

I've had them in the shoulder before. I just can't imagine how they do it on a heavier person without it being hideously awful.

Oh, and my son, who is a pain weenie, had a cortisone shot to the hip and didn't remark on it being anything torturous - just that he got it. So it couldn't be that bad :).

I so hope so. I'm pretty good with pain but I'm much more nervous about this procedure than I was about WLS.

I had one in my knee...and two in my hand...I promise you, the hand hurts far worse than ANY OTHER possible spot on the body.

I had one in my knee...and two in my hand...I promise you, the hand hurts far worse than ANY OTHER possible spot on the body.
I'm newly post op and therefore still very much FAT. My concern is how do they find my Friggan hip???? I sure haven't seen it in a while. I'm imagining a six foot long needle being required to get through my cushioning. I'm quite sure the hand hurt like hell. But you can easily find the hand even on a fat girl,,

Hi CaraOC, I had a cortisone shot in my hip shortly after my surgery. I had the exact same concerns about the doctor finding the correct spot, but she did it. I won't tell you that it was pleasant, but it was really far easier than I expected it to be. I walked out of the office 10 minutes later and only had minor discomfort for a couple of days after the procedure.

It depends on how obese the patient really. I was too heavy for the X-ray table to locate the exact spots (I had double hip shots), so they did it via ultrasound whilst I held my huge panni with my hands arms. It's doable but you gotta work with the people to make it work. They were so shocked I was willing and able to move around and hold bits and bobs. The shots are with a huge long needle, but you don't have to look. Also, it was amazing! I had it done twice before they stopped working altogether, but when they worked, omg AMAZING!

Latest posts

Back