Colace in gelatin capsules?

Clematis

Will Colace in gelatin capsules be absorbed properly? (The generic red and white gelatin pills found in a number of brands.)

I am having crippling coccyx pain (unrelated to DS surgery I had 2.5 weeks ago, I think). When I went to the chiropractor today he took an X-ray and noted that I had a small very dense lump of fecal material. (I forgot to ask him where he saw it.) I realize I am only pooping a very small amount every 4 days but was not concerned as I am also still on full liquids... plus yogurt. Today I also had a little watermelon and cream soup (not fat free) hoping that either would help move things along.

And if Colace absorbs ok, is it alright to take a pill like this 2.5 weeks out?

It's not the gelcap that is a problem. Your system will dissolve it just fine. It's what's IN the gelcap. If whatever you need to take is water miscible, it's all good. BUT if it's an oil based med, you will only absorb @ 20%.

Will Colace in gelatin capsules be absorbed properly? (The generic red and white gelatin pills found in a number of brands.)

I am having crippling coccyx pain (unrelated to DS surgery I had 2.5 weeks ago, I think). When I went to the chiropractor today he took an X-ray and noted that I had a small very dense lump of fecal material. (I forgot to ask him where he saw it.) I realize I am only pooping a very small amount every 4 days but was not concerned as I am also still on full liquids... plus yogurt. Today I also had a little watermelon and cream soup (not fat free) hoping that either would help move things along.

And if Colace absorbs ok, is it alright to take a pill like this 2.5 weeks out?
Colace or docusate sodium is actually not systemically absorbed. It is simply a surfactant or foaming agent which reduces the surface tension of water, resulting in bubbles or foam. It simply makes stool softer and thus easier to pass. Fear not. But if you have this mass of fecal matter stuck in your system, I would think more than a stool softener. Perhaps a saline enema or mild laxative like Milk of Magnesia? Ask your Dr!

Thanks everyone.

This "dense fecal matter" is only causing me distress in the sense that I don't like the idea of it being there. I took one Colace last night and when that didn't work this morning, I took a small dose of milk of magnesia an hour or so ago. It just worked -- but nothing "dense" so I don't know if it took care of the problem. I am having another X-ray on Tuesday for my lower back so we'll see.

Until I can get this mysterious sciatica resolved so I can walk, constipation may be a continuing problem.

BTW, damn the "liquids only" regarding Colace and other pills. Ibuprofen is a necessity with my screaming back. (Not that it's helping much.)

Latest posts

Back