Chewables

DBmom23

So I've read the archives about avoiding chewable vitamins because of the sugar, alcohol sugar, or bad taste. However, I almost choked on my multivitamin this AM which doesn't bode well for the Ca when I introduce that next week.
Figuring that chewables are better than nothing, anyone have any recommendations for a "lesser of 2 or more evils" situation?

IF you can't tolerate a pill yet, try the Centrum ADULT chewables. Remember that most of us take 2-3 of a multi. If calcium is an issue and you are using a tablet, cut it...if a capsule, try opening it and putting it in yogurt. If your calcium needs to be a chewable, just make sure it's calcium CITRATE.

For any chewable, add the carbs to your daily amount so you don't exceed it. Most chewables have either sugar or sugar alcohols (avoid those until you are more healed) just to make them tolerable.

But you are ONLY a week out...you will ride on your pre-op stores for a few more weeks. Wait another week before trying the multi tablet again. Your sleeve may still be too swollen.

I have trouble swallowing large pills and couldn't get down calcium citrate at all as a fresh post-op. My surgeon recommended the calcium citrate lozenges from Bariatric Advantage and they've been a life saver. You can get them either from vitalady or directly from Bariatric Advantage (website). I like the chocolate and the cherry flavors. the mint is very minty. I haven't tried the cinnamon.
Now, EN will tell you that they are chalky, which I suppose is true given that they are calcium, but really they don't taste bad, and you can either chew them up or just suck on them til they dissolve. and each one is 500 mg of calcium citrate, which is the correct dose.

Bariatric Advantage also makes calcium citrate chewies, some are 500 mg and some are only 250 mg. they're not bad! but they do contain some sugar alcohols, so you wouldn't want to use too much of them.

Cinnamon Bariatric Advantage calcium is by far my favorite of all the flavors...but I like cinnamon.

Latest posts

Back