Cheezy skillet "bread"

Jo777

Aug 2017
I fell in love with the spoonbread at Berea College's Boone Tavern.. we were there for one of the convocations.. good time, dry town.. but still. :D

This is not like theirs.. but it's damn tasty and cheesy, and freezes well.. I have been noshing on this off and on.. I will take a slice, still frozen and split it, brown it in my cast iron, pile on some ham and top with a sunny side egg.. also makes a good rich sammy. You obvs can season with whatever spices/cheese suits your fancy, and the fact that it freezes and slices well when frozen.. makes me think about baking this next in a reg loaf pan and slicing thinner. Making the next loaf with a mild melty cheese and some baking spices for a french toast base.

http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2012/11/low-carb-cheesy-skillet-bread.html

This looks good! I am posting the recipe to help me remember to make it. I will have to find some flax seeds.

Cheesy Skillet Bread

Ingredients

• 1 tbsp butter for the skillet
  • 2 cups almond flour
  • 1/2 cup flax seed meal
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 & 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
  • 3 large eggs, lightly beaen
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 3/4 cup almond milk
Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 425F. Add 1 tbsp butter to a 10-inch oven-proof skillet and place in oven.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, flax seed meal, baking powder, salt and 1 cup of the shredded cheddar cheese.
  3. Stir in the eggs, melted butter and almond milk until thoroughly combined.
  4. Remove hot skillet from oven (remember to put on your oven mitts), and swirl butter to coat sides.
  5. Pour batter into pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheddar.
  6. Bake 16 minutes, or until browned around the edges and set through the middle. Cheese on top should be nicely browned.
  7. Remove and let cool 15 minutes.
Notes

Serves 10. Each serving has 7.2 g of carbs and 4 g of fiber. Total NET CARBS = 3.2 g.

Read more at http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2012/11/low-carb-cheesy-skillet-bread.html#eDpdcWgFCh4Wdpp0.99

This looks really good, does the almond flour work, it's not 'eggy'? That's always my challenge with using the alternative flours for more savory breads.

I am considering doing this on a large baking sheet so it comes out thinner and will be easier to use for sandwiches. @Jo777 have you tried this?

This looks really good, does the almond flour work, it's not 'eggy'? That's always my challenge with using the alternative flours for more savory breads.
To me, not eggy- but def dense.. almond flour is hearty heavy stuff. The coconut flour stuff seems to get eggy/spongy, good almond flour is just rich (yummy, but rich!)

Dense is good, I love ezekiel bread; eggy, not so much. This has been the challenge for me when making savory type breads; right, coconut flour seems to work better for sweeter type things (like the creamcheese pancakes, fruity quickbreads, chocolate 'brownie') Going to try this one, I bet it works well in a pan, too, just use a lot of butter or oil to grease it.

Latest posts

Back