Can DS'rs be Kidney Donors?

EricW

Are there any possible risks or complications long or short term with being a kidney donor? Anyone done it or considered it then backed out, why? I'd love to hear the perspectives and experiences. Thanks in advance. EW

I'm sure it's somewhat more difficult for DSers - plus, I suspect that we are more likely to be subject to kidney stones and other disorders such as uric acid (?) crystals in the renal body (in the "meat" of the kidney, not just in the tubules where stones usually form). I would not want to donate - but if it was my kid? You bet I'd do it.

Thanks Diana. A young man local to my community needs one soon. At this point he is trying to find A or O blood types and I am A-. I will follow up and see if I can even be considered. I will bring along the info you posted.

BTW, I used your new PCP intro letter last week and I landed a great new PCP. This doctor was way interested in the procedure and wanted to meet up along with a couple of his current patients who must be WLS candidates. He showed my an online site where we can communicate in private with access to all my records. He is willing to order the labs I online mail him and also let me send him recommendations and info at sites like this one. I think in a year or so we will both be more educated and I will be more healthy. Thanks A Lot for posting up that intro letter. I really believe that it combined with my organized history and results went a long way toward him accepting me. He mentioned that he was always looking for patients that were involved and proactive about their own health. I appreciate all the help. EW

My kindergarten friend's son donated a kidney to his son (the kindergarten friend's grandson.). It was not a great match and the son had a redo a couple of years ago. Last fall the son who donated, who was a cop, was murdered. There was a 20-hour surgery for harvesting all of his organs and tissue. It was the first time that the transplant facility had a donor who had previously donated.

The only down side that I know of was that he, the donor, had left a big busy PD to go to a small one. He was bored to tears, and the big agency would not take him back with only one kidney. He found another department, thrived and their love for him was made evident when they lost him.

So interesting that you asked this!! My dad is on the donor list and of course, I can't even be screened because of my BMI. He is on the list at Vanderbilt and they only take 50% live donors anyway, and with our family history of diabetes, I don't even know if they would accept me with a normal BMI. My sister (his step-daughter) made it through most of the extensive testing until they found kidney stones and they rejected her. It is so frustrating to know that you could save your loved ones life but because you are overweight you can't.

I was thinking about asking the patient coordinator about WLS and the effect is has on being a donor.

Back to the OP: The hospital where the boy is registered will be able to tell you if they accept Dser's as kidney donors. There is a lot that goes into being a match and the first they do is test for compatibility (beyond blood type).

Latest posts

Back