Calling all Greenbaum DS patients...

Onelastshot

OK, so I'm going to try to make this as quick of a summary as possible:
My lap band was removed in Jan 2016 due to complications. I was originally scheduled for surgery with Dr. Greenbaum on 12/28/16 but my thyroid was out of whack it was postponed to 3/1/17.

I have read some folks mention about how Dr. Greenbaum is a great surgeon but has poor/insuffiecient post-op nutrition recommendations. I found his nutrition staff unable to answer some of my questions so I'd appreciate any feedback from those who have had him as their surgeon. I have some unusual background that does not make me "fit" with many in this group and I need help...

While I do not have any of the common co-morbidities, I do have celiacs disease, hypothyroidism, genetic iron deficient anemia. I get IV iron infusions about every 3 months bc pills will never, ever get me to normal range. I currently take a high potency D3 vitamin daily as well as a vitamin B Super complex. In my most recent lab work, it showed my vitamin A was slightly high, but my vitamin D is still too low... mind you this is pre-op when I am already taking a high dose vitamin D daily. I also have to do gluten free bc of the celiacs.

Since all DSers need to be hyper vigilant about their nutrition and supplements, and I am already deficient as a pre-op, I am concerned. What are you taking daily? Also, how was your post-op healing as an open DS patient? At what point were you able to move around your house, shower, etc without support? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

OK, so I'm going to try to make this as quick of a summary as possible:
My lap band was removed in Jan 2016 due to complications. I was originally scheduled for surgery with Dr. Greenbaum on 12/28/16 but my thyroid was out of whack it was postponed to 3/1/17.

I have read some folks mention about how Dr. Greenbaum is a great surgeon but has poor/insuffiecient post-op nutrition recommendations. I found his nutrition staff unable to answer some of my questions so I'd appreciate any feedback from those who have had him as their surgeon. I have some unusual background that does not make me "fit" with many in this group and I need help...

While I do not have any of the common co-morbidities, I do have celiacs disease, hypothyroidism, genetic iron deficient anemia. I get IV iron infusions about every 3 months bc pills will never, ever get me to normal range. I currently take a high potency D3 vitamin daily as well as a vitamin B Super complex. In my most recent lab work, it showed my vitamin A was slightly high, but my vitamin D is still too low... mind you this is pre-op when I am already taking a high dose vitamin D daily. I also have to do gluten free bc of the celiacs.

Since all DSers need to be hyper vigilant about their nutrition and supplements, and I am already deficient as a pre-op, I am concerned. What are you taking daily? Also, how was your post-op healing as an open DS patient? At what point were you able to move around your house, shower, etc without support? Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Actually 98% of DS surgeons give inadequate vitamin advice for DSers. This isn't just Greenbaum.

As far as the high dose vit D, is it prescription? If so, as a DSer, you will need to switch to the dry D by BioTech or Nivegan and most of us take 50,000 iu a day minimum. I actually take 50,000 M-F and 100,000 on S & S. I've seen polls done where many DSers take 200,000 iu or more a day.

It's not how much you take that is the issue but are you taking enough to keep your D between 80-100? If not, it's still not enough. Did you have your PTH tested? That is dependent on how much D you have onboard to use. Ideal for PTH is to be as low normal as possible. My latest PTH was 18 (range is 15 to 65?). So the amount of D I am taking is appropriate for me at this point in time. Others, like Scott @DSRIGGS struggles even with getting a 600,000 iu shot if D.

I'm Dr. Greenbaum's patient. He is a wonderful surgeon but he and his team give rotten nutrition advice. I would carefully consider the DS with your history. It is very malabsorptive and you already have issues with absorption. What's your stats? I wonder if you should get the sleeve to start with and if that proves insufficient then consider the DS.

As mentioned, most DS Docs give bad advice for nutrition and supplementation. Dr K is the exception and not the rule as he gives great advice in that regard,

I would be more concerned about your Celiac disease as your intestines are already an issue and after surgery they become even more crucial. I am not sure if we have any folks on here who have Celiac and if so, it would be good if they could share their experience. I am not saying Celiac should keep your from the DS but I know it would be a concern.

Best wishes.

Latest posts

Back