Calcium and stones

They also have calcium crystals which I have on hand but have never tried. But be careful, the Calcium Bytes contain sugar alcohols.

You want I should sent you a few so you can taste them?
Thanks darlin, but you don't need to do that. I might order a bag.

I have been doing a combo of the Jarrow Bone Up and the regular calcium citrate. May just go back to the regular cheap old target calcium citrate. With my dosage of everything up so high now for evrything and i added mag bisglycinate recently i am spending too damn much money on vitamins. Has to be $125-$150 a month now. My D is 300K iu, A 200k iu, K 8,000 mcg, E 1,200 mg, zinc 300 mg, copper 6 mg, K2 1 a day, mag is 800 -1,000 a day, 2 probiotic, 2 multi......I swear at this rate to stay in range I will be double what i am now next year. I really wish I could figure out why I am such a fucking mess. It is really getting g frustrating and depressing.

I wonder if there is something that could SLOW your guts down so you can absorb more, without constipating you.
That is is an interesting concept. I am not sure if a med exists for that but it is worth asking about.

Make sure you take magnesium too, and you may need to take it in a higher ratio (my endo has me up to a 1 to 1 ratio with calcium).
Also, make sure your potassium is not low, as that can make stones form. It keeps things in solution, not allowing crystals to form. I take a LOT of Urocit-K, which is RX potassium because mine is low, and the only stones I've passed since starting it were crumbly, making their passing go nearly unnoticed.

Make sure you take magnesium too, and you may need to take it in a higher ratio (my endo has me up to a 1 to 1 ratio with calcium).
Also, make sure your potassium is not low, as that can make stones form. It keeps things in solution, not allowing crystals to form. I take a LOT of Urocit-K, which is RX potassium because mine is low, and the only stones I've passed since starting it were crumbly, making their passing go nearly unnoticed.

And (Trump version...just didn't want you to think I was prescribing) "lots of people have said" that some diuretics, such as hydrochlorothiazide might just be better for us than stuff like Lasix and Demadex, if we are in fact using diuretics.

@DianaCox @DSRIGGS Doesn't immodium/ loperamide work by slowing the system down?
Honestly I don't know much about immodium but I think it is only for dealing with acute diarrhea, is it not?

and I don't have perse have chronic diahrrea. I flip from formed stool that can make me feel bloated like constipation but never constipated, and loose stools that will turn into diarrhea on occasion. Today I have been solidly formed and but I imagine tomorrow it will flip back to the loose side. That being said I ran out of my Jarrow Bone up so am back exclusively on the Calcium Citrate for a few days now so that might be why. I am going to see how it goes for a few days on just it and before deciding whether to go back to the Bone Up (Calcium citrate is much cheaper). I also may try to the chews since I am trying to get my calcium intake up and 10 cal citrate pills daily is almost impossible for me.

Honestly I don't know much about immodium but I think it is only for dealing with acute diarrhea, is it not?

and I don't have perse have chronic diahrrea. I flip from formed stool that can make me feel bloated like constipation but never constipated, and loose stools that will turn into diarrhea on occasion. Today I have been solidly formed and but I imagine tomorrow it will flip back to the loose side. That being said I ran out of my Jarrow Bone up so am back exclusively on the Calcium Citrate for a few days now so that might be why. I am going to see how it goes for a few days on just it and before deciding whether to go back to the Bone Up (Calcium citrate is much cheaper). I also may try to the chews since I am trying to get my calcium intake up and 10 cal citrate pills daily is almost impossible for me.

It is over the counter for run-of-the-mill, mild diarrhea, and chronic conditions like IBS, etc. but specifically works by slowing motility. The longer transit time allows for increased absorption of water - not sure what if anything it would do to the rate of absorption of nutrients / minerals like calcium.

Last edited:
Thanks Hil. If my absorption doesn't pick up I will talk to Dr K and ask his thoughts on this or some other long term motility slowing drug.

Regarding calcium absorption let me be clear in that I don't believe I have any issues absorbing it. I conscientiously made a decision to decrease my calcium intake as I had been having so much abdominal discomfort and bloat over the past several months, so the new stones in my kidneys I take full ownership for with that dumb move. I also for some reason brain cramped and thought because my calcium numbers were good and PTH that i coudl back off calcium without it leaching from my bones. Simply adding more calcium might very well slow my motility and allow for better absorption. We shall see. I have definitely upped my calcium intake the last week or two.

Latest posts

Back