Calcium and stones

DSRIGGS

Yes, that is chocolate covered bacon
Kind of off the topic a bit and I dint want hijack the thread, but was backing off my caliumc citrate or Jarrow Bone Up because I am bloated/distended the last month or two. Instead of getting at least 2,000 mg daily o was doing 1,000 to 1,333 mg most days. Unfortunately I now have 4 stones in my kidneys ( 3 in one and 1 in other) and they are all 3 or 4mm. I need to up it and have gone back to 2,000 daily. If I can get my gut situation straightened out I need to get up to 3,000 daily as Dr K is now advising that dosage. Calcium is the one vitamin I really hate taking but it is crucial one so it is a rough balance. Kidney stones suck and I had been lucky to have only had on in these 3 years since having the DS. My luck in that regard unfortunately ran out. :(

Kind of off the topic a bit and I dint want hijack the thread, but was backing off my caliumc citrate or Jarrow Bone Up because I am bloated/distended the last month or two. Instead of getting at least 2,000 mg daily o was doing 1,000 to 1,333 mg most days. Unfortunately I now have 4 stones in my kidneys ( 3 in one and 1 in other) and they are all 3 or 4mm. I need to up it and have gone back to 2,000 daily. If I can get my gut situation straightened out I need to get up to 3,000 daily as Dr K is now advising that dosage. Calcium is the one vitamin I really hate taking but it is crucial one so it is a rough balance. Kidney stones suck and I had been lucky to have only had on in these 3 years since having the DS. My luck in that regard unfortunately ran out. :(

Scott, you should maybe copy this to a new thread. It kind-of gets lost in here. Then, someone might have some suggestions for you. I hope it works out well for you!

Don't worry unless a urologist told you those stones are about to be on the move. Even though I have a gazillion stones, the urologist told me they may never move ergo not cause me pain. (But there is at least one lined up and ready to rumble.)

At the risk of sounding really dumb, does Calcium prevent kidney stones? I thought Calcium could cause them....

Don't worry unless a urologist told you those stones are about to be on the move. Even though I have a gazillion stones, the urologist told me they may never move ergo not cause me pain. (But there is at least one lined up and ready to rumble.)
Yeah, I have had one in there for at least 2 years and the other 3 just showed up.

Yeah I have had the one stone for at least 2 years now and the other 3 just showed. None were on the move and I hope they don't for a while but I know they will eventually move.

At the risk of sounding really dumb, does Calcium prevent kidney stones? I thought Calcium could cause them....
I have myself confused. I am revisiting because I thought in a Dr K presentation that he said something about inadequate calcium causing issues with stones but it was complex presentation and as messed up as my head is lately I honestly don't remember if I heard him correctly or am just imagining that.

With respect to the most common type of kidney stone, which are calcium oxalate: you need enough calcium in your diet to bind to oxalates in your diet to precipitate the oxalates in your gut, so they can be shit out without ever being absorbed. That's why the somewhat counterintuitive recommendation to increase calcium oral intake if you are a stone-former.

Excess oxalates in your bloodstream can end up being precipitated out by complexing with calcium in the kidneys => kidney stones.
http://www.precisionnutrition.com/all-about-kidney-stones (but there is also incorrect info in this link, so ...)
"A “normal” day of eating might include 80-100 mg of oxalate/day, and we only absorb about 10-20% of that. .. After oxalates are absorbed, the only way to get rid of them is in the urine."

By the way, vitamin C is converted to oxalate - don't overdo vitamin C supplements. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/825349
ascorbic-acid-to-oxalic-acid.gif

That was it....thanks Diana!!

Now I don't feel like I have completely lost it!

:D

BTW Dr K now advocates taking 3,000 g of Calcium daily and half with food. I imagine the with food suggestion is so the oxylates attach and good carried out with the poop.

PS...just had a follow up CT to the last stone smashing. We attacked the stone blocking the ureter and left one biggie behind...or so we thought. The biggie is now five small ones that should pass.

AND, I drink lemonade everyday...lots of lemonade.

They also have calcium crystals which I have on hand but have never tried. But be careful, the Calcium Bytes contain sugar alcohols.

You want I should sent you a few so you can taste them?

Latest posts

Back