Birth control/Nuvaring and surgery?

Thunderkitty

I've recently switched to Nuvaring for birth control as I'm having ds surgery on the 7th of April. I asked Nina (coordinator) at Mexicali, when to stop using it before surgery and when I could start again and she said it was okay to just leave it in because it wouldn't affect surgery. I went online to a few sites and got conflicting messages about it, most of which said to remove it 4 to 2 weeks ahead of and reinsert 2 to 4 weeks after. I asked my OBGYN, and she said she has no idea, maybe it would be fine as it's a ring and not a systemic pill. This seems silly to me, because the hormones are the same as birth control pills. The only reason I'm concerned about it is because I don't want to increase my risk of blood clots around the time of surgery. Obviously, risking my life for a love life isn't ideal. LOL I'm looking for some opinions or experiences.

I had similar concerns. Although I'm post menopausal and use an estrogen patch which also increases clotting issues post op. I really couldn't get a definitive answer as to what to do. I just opted to stop using estrogen for a month. I'm not familiar with your birth control device to be honest so probably this forum can give you their particular surgeons directions pre op. I had the same surgeon as you will have, Dr Esquerra I assume. My instruction was the same as yours. I will be interested in hearing also what information other DSers got. Good luck with surgery!!!

Well I knew about possible clotting issues with Vagifem (post menopausal hormone suppository) but I didn't care and took it anyway. (Esquerra's office only seemed to be familiar with oral birth control.) Vagifem vaginal suppository is along the same principle as Nuvaring: the hormones are not supposed to be systemic, rather absorbed close to the spot to be treated. (A lot of controversy on whether or not these hormone delivery systems really are local vs systemic.) Your birth control ring has far more hormones than what is in this, though. When in doubt, just take it out. It's not like you're going to want to have sex right after major surgery -- well I certainly wasn't interested in anything but not puking.

Hey @Thunderkitty - I believe you are doing well to question using hormones during the acute surgery phase. My physician stopped my hormone patch - had a hysterectomy years ago - 2 weeks pre-op and 30 days post op.
Agree with the when in doubt take it out - just be sure and use 2 forms of birth control - yes 2.

Well, I think based on what I'm gathering, I've decided that because I'm going on a little vacation with my BF 3 weeks pre-op I'll quit after then and then wait until at least 2 weeks after surgery to start back up. I just want to be cautious, because obviously passing away from a blood clot over B/C or getting pregnant around the time of surgery would both be disastrous. It's just tricky making these "adult" decisions when you know it's so serious. It sort of makes me feel young again, but not in a good way. LOL

Thank you ladies so much for your input, you're giving me some much needed relief for my anxieties. :D

Latest posts

Back