Are new stretch marks normal pre-op?

GenJones

I'm in a weight-loss program pre-surgery and have lost about 30 lbs in about 2 1/2 months. Last week I noticed new stretch marks high up on my abdomen and my skin there is sore. Is this normal?

Are you sure they're new? Are they red? Sometimes losing weight can simply make old stretch marks more apparent.

They're old. (New ones are red.) They were stretched taut and you may not have noticed but as you lose they will look more "seersucker" puckered. Sorry

Is there a way to make money off of stretch mark knowledge? Is this ever a category on Jeopardy?

Got my first stretch marks at 19 when I had a major depression and ate my way from 110 to 145 in a month. I was doing somersaults with my younger siblings and my sister squealed that the backs of my legs were "bleeding" (not really). It looked like someone had dragged their nails down the backs of my thighs and left bloody-looking trails. Days later I noticed fat red ones on my hips. Even though I lost the weight (and gained and lost and gained...) I was permanently scarred at 19. Took about a year for them to fade but I continued to add many more in my life, none as dramatic, though, as the first set. Bizarrely, I only got ONE belly stretch mark during pregnancy and only with the second child. I think my belly was pretty bagged out by a lifetime of yoyo weight loss and gain so my skin easily accommodated 8.5# babies.

Not everyone gets them. There's a strong genetic component and women are more likely to develop them than men. And they're not just from rapid weight gain. My thin sister got horizontal stretch marks on her knees and small of back when she shot up to 6' tall as an adolescent. My lanky 6'4" son has a few horizontal ones in the small of his back, too.

This concludes your stretch mark FYI.

Latest posts

Back