Anybody who tells you you need more than 40 grams of protein a day is NUTS!

Charris

Now an angel
Well I guess you will never guess who said that? We went to my cousins 1st postop appointment and thats what the great Dr. S told her. Anybody who tells you you need more than 40 grams of protein a day is NUTS! I about feel the fruck out of my chair. WTF? Then I had his packet that he gives telling you how to eat for the surgery the first 4 weeks. So I say to him "Well it says here that during week 2 you should at least get 60-70 and week 3 70-80 and week 4 90 minimum of protein." His reply was "Oh funny you read that my patients never even read that. But yeah that packet is outdated and old." Then he goes on to tell her that the way she is to eat is by this weekend she will start eating. For 1 month she is to eat nothing but fish and egg salad and gave examples: tuna, salmon, any canned fish. During the 2nd month she will eat fish and shelled fish and tuna salad. He said he will add one source of protein per month until she is able to eat it may take about 6 months. HUMM He told my cousin he gives larger sleeves. Hers should hold 4-5 ounces or about a half a cup. Post op report says he used a 42 bougie and used several rows of staples making the pouch not tight but loose.

He had a waiting room full of band seekers or unsatistisfied banders or new band patients. Needles to say that the banders are pissed and seeking revisions. One lost only 80 pounds and regained 60. One lost 40 pounds since 2011 in the first three months after surgery and never lost another pound still leaving her 1-2 hundred pounds over weight. I gave out the websites address and suggested they research more and come talk to you guys. One of the patients, who had a band now looking for a revision, I believe may have gotten on her I Pad right then and started doing research. She is a self pay. I expressed I would go to Mexico before letting him touch my ingrown toe nail!

The word is he is now suggesting the sleeve. But Idk

So I looked up daily protein requirements on Web MD, and even a normal adult female, according to web MD, needs 46 gm protein/day, and men need 56 gm/day. And right now your cousin is healing from major surgery, and healing requires extra protein. AND I would assume that the good people on Web MD assume certain amount of energy obtained from carbs, which I would hope Dr. S is telling his patients to limit, and likewise from fat intake, also probably being told to limit, would would mean to me that they need MORE of their energy requirements from protein.
Of course the hope is that they will fufill their energy requirements by burning the fat they already have and thus losing weight. My point is that there are a lot of factors to consider when sorting out protein requirements, and 40 seems low to me for people who are going to be on a low calorie, low carb, low fat diet.

Of course none of the above applies to anyone with a Ds or other malabsorptive surgery or medical condition.

And "suggesting the sleeve" is lots easier for the surgeon than doing the DS. Glad you tried to educate the people you met. I hope they listen. Esp if he's doing larger sleeves - the reason the sleeve as a stand alone is now usually being done with a very small sleeve is that the people who came first and got larger sleeves failed after a few years. It remains to be seen whether the narrower sleeve will prevent these failures or just postpone them, but the fate of a large sleeve as a stand alone is already known.

He had a waiting room full of band seekers or unsatistisfied banders or new band patients. Needles to say that the banders are pissed and seeking revisions. One lost only 80 pounds and regained 60. One lost 40 pounds since 2011 in the first three months after surgery and never lost another pound still leaving her 1-2 hundred pounds over weight. I gave out the websites address and suggested they research more and come talk to you guys. One of the patients, who had a band now looking for a revision, I believe may have gotten on her I Pad right then and started doing research. She is a self pay. I expressed I would go to Mexico before letting him touch my ingrown toe nail!

The word is he is now suggesting the sleeve. But Idk
Ooooooh, PREACH IT @Charris !

And "suggesting the sleeve" is lots easier for the surgeon than doing the DS. Glad you tried to educate the people you met. I hope they listen. Esp if he's doing larger sleeves - the reason the sleeve as a stand alone is now usually being done with a very small sleeve is that the people who came first and got larger sleeves failed after a few years. It remains to be seen whether the narrower sleeve will prevent these failures or just postpone them, but the fate of a large sleeve as a stand alone is already known.

For some reason it just seems like he goes from crazy to crazier. Then to say oh well Im giving you outdated material that is no longer valid..... I just cant believe him. What is even worse is that I know my cousin that had the sleeve may not be very successful just because of her own ability to follow rules or have self control but if the larger sleeve has been a reason for future failure she doesnt have a fighting chance.... Well at least she had the sleeve so if or when she fails she can go to a real doctor and go ahead and get switched and probably have her sleeve corrected. I hate to seem negative but Im just being honest and keeping it real. She is already regretting the surgery because she cant eat what she wants to and how she wants to.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the problems she had after surgery, I would be inclined to suggest that she eat very soft food for at least a couple more weeks. Seems a little soon for tuna with the problems she had.

With the problems she had after surgery, I would be inclined to suggest that she eat very soft food for at least a couple more weeks. Seems a little soon for tuna with the problems she had.

According to him she is not allowed soft foods. She is on liquids till this weekend. Then she can add fish. Then next month shell fish!

Glad to see she is still on liquids, but it does seem to be a little soon for solid food. Maybe you can talk her into doing pureed food for at least a week? By then her stomach should be pretty well healed.

Glad to see she is still on liquids, but it does seem to be a little soon for solid food. Maybe you can talk her into doing pureed food for at least a week? By then her stomach should be pretty well healed.

I couldnt believe she isnt allowed soft foods. I told her get some Creme of Wheat, SF jello & pudding, SF popsicles. She asked for a script for Iron because her iron count was low. He told her she doesnt need to take iron. The body will take the blood from the bruises on her stomach and replenish itself. WTF? I just dont know what is wrong with him

Just to make sure no one reading this is confused -- can you state who Dr S is or at least the town and state or something? (When I first read it I thought you meant Dr Sudan…but I know that's not who you meant because I know the history. Others won't and I don't want anyone confused)

No for sure not dr Sudan. Im sorry I just started to call him Dr. S after I had heard that he had been trolling OH a couple of months ago. I found that out in the last threads I started when my cousin had surgery. I dont want to suffer any legal issues, which i dont think I would since Im just telling the facts that happen but just not sure. I dont want to be sued for all of my NOTHING. LOL Maybe someone like Diana can weigh in on this for me. I remmeber someone saying years ago a trolling doctor who didnt like what was said about him threatened legal action.

Dr. S is a doctor who practices in Phoenix AZ. If anyone needs or would like to no the name of the doctor please feel free to pm me.

I couldnt believe she isnt allowed soft foods. I told her get some Creme of Wheat, SF jello & pudding, SF popsicles. She asked for a script for Iron because her iron count was low. He told her she doesnt need to take iron. The body will take the blood from the bruises on her stomach and replenish itself. WTF? I just dont know what is wrong with him
Liquids at this stage in her surgery is not unusual. I can't remember how long my daughter was on liquids afterwards, but I'm sure it was for at least a couple of weeks.

Okay, the iron issue is really odd! I've never heard of such a thing.

The information this "doctor" is giving out is negligent and potentially dangerous. Anyone blindly following his instructions can seriously damage their health. Please tell me this "doctor" does not perform DS surgery.

MsVee

Latest posts

Back